Sanity check for large ram tank requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jake37

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm planning a fairly large tank approx dimension is 8ftx4ftx21 (w,l,h). The target softness of the water will be 50tds and the target temp will be 81 during winter and 83 during summer. The substrate will be moderately fine white sand (approx .5mm).
-
The intended stocking i had in mind is as follows:
25 rams (mix of gold, electric blue, german blue, ...),
6 to 8 geo - likely winemilleri,
4 or 5 pleco - mostly l204 but perhaps a pair of gold nugget and/or blue phantoms.
40ish cardinal tetra
40ish another tetra - probably lemon or gold tetra - or runnynose.
one other dwarf cichlid - probably macmasteri (m/f/f?) or brevis but perhaps some other dwarf cichlid (suggestion? need to do a bit more research on passive dwarf that like warm waters)
-
The tank will be heavily planted (similar to attached picture) but likely kept low tech due to concern of oxygen level in warm tank - the sides will be dense as well as back edge but the front middle will have mostly low plants (2 to 8 inches) with areas of exposed substrate for the geo (it is after all an 8 feet tank so leaving 3 or so feet in the middle more bare seems feasible).
-
While the tank is low tech i can move full size swords and similar into the tank from high-tech tank so I think obtaining some initial density is feasible.
-
While not totally decided i will likely use a drip system for water changes at the rate of 1gph (168 gallon a week on a 420 gallon tank)
-
Feedback requested esp with regards to the ram behavior in a large group.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom