Saulosis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
Someone I met through a Facebook group has some Saulosi fry for sale, I think they are at around 1" and he's selling them at 6 for $20.
Good deal?

I've done some research on them, but you all know best so I figured I'd ask about them here as well.

What are your experiences with them? Too aggressive for a community type of tank? What tank size is recommended? I read 55 gallons for a group, 30 for a pair/trio? That doesn't sound right... What to feed? What size do they start pairing/spawning at? Etc.
basically, any advice you have for me will be very helpful.

I have a few tanks open right now, a 28 heavily planted, and a 29 rocky set up. Was planning on using one of those as a grow out and then once they start sexing out move a pair into one of my 55's and sell the rest? Sound like an okay plan or do I need to put them all into a 55+ straight away?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure some are stupid, but these will be my first actual cichlids other than apistos and convicts and I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

I'm also wondering about buying some Johanni's. from what I've seen they are absolutely gorgeous and if possible, I'd like to house them with the saulosis, but if not they can go into another tank. And if they can create hybrids together than I'll scratch the idea all together.

Someone I met through a Facebook group has some Saulosi fry for sale, I think they are at around 1" and he's selling them at 6 for $20.
Good deal?

Good deal if they are nice and not hybrids

What are your experiences with them? Too aggressive for a community type of tank? What tank size is recommended? I read 55 gallons for a group, 30 for a pair/trio? That doesn't sound right... What to feed? What size do they start pairing/spawning at? Etc.
basically, any advice you have for me will be very helpful.

The 30 would be fine IMO if that's all your going to keep. New life spectrum tera A would be the best food. They don't pair off they just breed with whatever around 2-2.5"

I have a few tanks open right now, a 28 heavily planted, and a 29 rocky set up. Was planning on using one of those as a grow out and then once they start sexing out move a pair into one of my 55's and sell the rest? Sound like an okay plan or do I need to put them all into a 55+ straight away?

If you want to keep your plants then that tank is a no go. The rocky setup would be preferred. Depending on how many you want and what size they actually are will determine what tank size to put them in.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure some are stupid, but these will be my first actual cichlids other than apistos and convicts and I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

You'll be fine

I'm also wondering about buying some Johanni's. from what I've seen they are absolutely gorgeous and if possible, I'd like to house them with the saulosis, but if not they can go into another tank. And if they can create hybrids together than I'll scratch the idea all together.

Any mouthbrooder can cross breed. Those two will be fine stocked together aggression wise in a 55 imo

Thank you Andrew! I believe they are purebred, or as close as you can get these days. He's a very active member in one of the local aquarium clubs so I've heard a lot of good things.
But, is there any way to positively tell if they are hybrid or not at this size?

Also, you say I could probably do both species in a 55, what would be a good number of each in there?

Thank you Andrew! I believe they are purebred, or as close as you can get these days. He's a very active member in one of the local aquarium clubs so I've heard a lot of good things.
But, is there any way to positively tell if they are hybrid or not at this size?

Also, you say I could probably do both species in a 55, what would be a good number of each in there?

There isn't any way to tell at an inch size. If he is part of the local club he probably breeds them with no other tank mates. Most club members will either put down hybrids or not sell them if there is a chance. I would take my chances at that price, plus he would probably tell you if there was a chance of them being hybrids. In the 55 I would do around ten of each of them.

There isn't any way to tell at an inch size. If he is part of the local club he probably breeds them with no other tank mates. Most club members will either put down hybrids or not sell them if there is a chance. I would take my chances at that price, plus he would probably tell you if there was a chance of them being hybrids. In the 55 I would do around ten of each of them.

That's what I was figuring, that he'd mention it, but wasn't sure if there would be a way to be positive. From the sounds of it he's pretty trustworthy from the sounds of other members in the group.

10 of each? That was much more than I figured, Awesome! Are there any other good tank mates for them rather than doing 10 of each? I'm really leaning towards peacocks of some sort, but not sure which and would like some variation in color rather than just blue and yellow if possible.

What you may not like is that the females are just silver. Plus peacocks get bigger and that will drop the #s of the other two a good bit. Personally I would just pick out another mbuna that stays under 5" and do 5-7 of each

Back
Top Bottom