Say Hello to the Yellow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today I got to purchase my first set of cichlids, and I'm wickedly excited about it, especially since my wife was the one who decided we could buy them now. So now we have two gorgeous electric yellow cichlids, and I wanted to express them to the great people on this site!

By the way, if I'm right in my reading, it looks like a boy and girl, is this correct, or are they too young to tell?

Attachments

• New Cichlids!!!!.jpg
    New Cichlids!!!!.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 141
derail said:
Today I got to purchase my first set of cichlids, and I'm wickedly excited about it, especially since my wife was the one who decided we could buy them now. So now we have two gorgeous electric yellow cichlids, and I wanted to express them to the great people on this site!

By the way, if I'm right in my reading, it looks like a boy and girl, is this correct, or are they too young to tell?

Congrats! I love Yellow Labs and have six of them myself. You can't tell just from the from the colors what sex they are. Google "sexing yellow yabs." It's not easy, esp for juveniles.

Enjoy!

Cornstar said:
What are the tank requirements for maintaining labs?

20 or 30 gallons I think and this is just for a couple I think!!

I love labs!! My favorite fish! It is hard to tell sexs at this stage only by venting. There isn't a real way without venting. For some reason look 1 male and other female because one of them doesn't have yellow on anal fin but this is not always true . Same as egg spot , egg streak and other things like this.

Hi they maybe to young to sex to be honest. If I'm correct and what I've read is true the males have black on their cordial find, the females don't. Both have black on their dorsal fin but it doesn't go black till they mature. If I'm wrong in sure someone will tell you.

I don't know about the venting process, I've read a little bit on it and i'm not sure where the smaller and larger opening are supposed to be exactly >.< It does look like the anal fin of them both have a small circle toward the tip, will try to upload a picture of it. I've read about "egg spots" before, could that be what it is?

About size, the person I purchased this tank from indicated he kept about 7 electric yellows in the tank, but given it's only a 30, I don't want to house more than maybe 4 (one male and three female)

I wouldn't use egg spots as an indication, unless they are wild caught or f1 or something. As most tank breed specimens both male and female can have egg spots.

Ye 4 would be perfect or more if you wanted (if its a long tank and not a high one)
But when they get bigger get ready for some babys lol

Honestly, I am wanting some babies, so I'll never need to buy more yellows unless it's to open the genetic line a bit to reduce inbreeding lol. It is a long tank...should I get more than 4 to overstock, or is 4 enough overstock to reduce the aggression?

Yellow labs arent that agressive so it doesnt realy matter.
They will do some fighting but usualy nothing to be conserend about. Unless there is one without a tale
But i wouldnt put 4 males together then it could turn out wrong :p

Ok good to know. They're both chilling out and hiding right now, not really swimming about. But that's all about them getting used to new surroundings. Lfs had them with a kenyi and a much larger (6" or 7") johanii. I loved the johanii too lol. Can't wait for them to start swimming around more

Hmm i must have mixed up some things here how big is the tank?
Do you have a picture?

Hmm i must have mixed up some things here how big is the tank?
Do you have a picture?

Here it is...may have spoke too soon on the tank being a long. It's a standard lol.

Attachments

• 101_0730.jpg
    101_0730.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 103
Gah, wrong picture -_-
Trying again!

Attachments

• 101_0733.jpg
    101_0733.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 81
Ok, I'm starting to get concerned, because the new yellows have taken to hiding more than I expected. Do they need a few days to be comfortable enough to actually swim around? I researched their care and whatnot, but I don't remember timid being a characteristic...

Fun fish, I just wish mine would grow, he is about the smallest in the tank and even a baby will out grow him, does everyone else find they grow super slow?? I have had one pair have babies many times and they always out grow him and then double his size, he is only like 2 inches maybe

I bought two 1.5" 2 weeks ago! Love them, the only 2 that actually like the camera and don't hide from it. Check out my avatar! What a stud.

Sexy fish you have as well

Koikid88 said:
I bought two 1.5" 2 weeks ago! Love them, the only 2 that actually like the camera and don't hide from it. Check out my avatar! What a stud.

Sexy fish you have as well

Haha thanks. Are yours shy like that too? Will they come out eventually or an I stuck with a tank where you can't even see the fish?

Well, the krib is always just scavenging around in caves and plants so I hardly see him. The German blue ram hides in the plants a lot when I'm near. But the yellows...
They come right up to the glass like, "hey, what you gon do". Took me 8 months to get my gourami to act like that lol

Back
Top Bottom