School for Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

completelycich

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have gotten a 55 gallon corner bow front all set up and seeded from another tank. Everything is good to go. I added some mystery snails yesterday. This is going to be my Angel tank. Just wanted to get some opinions about some schooling fish that work well with Angels, as this is my first attempt at them. I will be getting Corys for the bottom as well. I have never been a huge fan of schooling fish, stick mostly to African Cichs, so any experienced advise as to what works and looks good is appreciated.

I have gotten a 55 gallon corner bow front all set up and seeded from another tank. Everything is good to go. I added some mystery snails yesterday. This is going to be my Angel tank. Just wanted to get some opinions about some schooling fish that work well with Angels, as this is my first attempt at them. I will be getting Corys for the bottom as well. I have never been a huge fan of schooling fish, stick mostly to African Cichs, so any experienced advise as to what works and looks good is appreciated.

Must be something in the water bc im doing the same thing with my 55g.. also not a fan of schooling fish but thought i might add some myself. Goodluck oh n was just told by someone they have congo tetras with their angels

I am excited! We will have to keep each other posted. I wanted to let the settle in first before adding the angels to help curb aggression. My daughter wants hatchetfish or silver dollars. I have heard they both work, I just don't find them very interesting. Also not a fan of Tetras and I know a lot of people keep them with Angels. I guess I will have a hard time deciding because they are boring to me haha

I've had bleeding heart, von rio, diamond, lemon and neon tetras in with my angel. Never picked on any of them. Your options are pretty open.

Awesome! Good to know. Guess I will just have to decide which I like the looks of best. Also, any advice on Corys? My first go round with them as well.

Cories are great. Got a couple peppered ones in with my angel too. Smooth gravel or sand is best. I noticed their barbels were getting shorter when I had them in regular gravel. The edges were too sharp and was destroying their barbels. I switched to sand and they grew back with time.

Thanks, guys! I am nervous about schools with cichs, even though I know Angels aren't like my Africans or SA. Just gotta get over it and fill this tank! It looks so sad empty! Really looking forward to the Corys. I am a softy for the bottom feeders.

Actually kept 6 Geophagus tapajos in there with the angel for a while. Sadly they all died on New Years Day. They were 4-5" when they died, not sure how they would've acted when they got 8"+.

The only thing my angel ever ate consistently was guppy fry and even adults. Never touched a neon or any other fish. She loved her guppies though.

Wow! This is helping settle my nerves, thanks. I will feel less like I am just putting feeder fish in now lol. I want to put the school and Corys in for a bit so that it is their home the Angels are coming in to. Maybe it is paranoia from having cichs for so long, just don't want a bloodbath.

Awesome! Good to know. Guess I will just have to decide which I like the looks of best. Also, any advice on Corys? My first go round with them as well.

Emerald cories get bigger then the rest .. cories like to be in bigger numbers.. they are very active an entertaining. I have bonze cories (also called green) and albino cories.. they prefer sand which im sure you mentioned you are getting ..

Actually, I don't like sand. I tried it for the cichs in the past. Didn't like the look or the cleaning. Should I skip Corys if I don't have sand? I know a few people who have them in gravel. I have smooth pea gravel in it. Like tiny river stone.

When i had angels i had a school of 15 neons with them. When the angels matured into adulthood they made snacks of the neons.

I'm prepared for this lol If nothing else, my daughter will get the 20 gallon she wants for her room! Really just need to fill out the tank until the angels get bigger and it makes the kids happy, they don't understand growing into a tank lol:angel:

I got some albino and some spotted, but keeping my eyes open and waiting for some pandas too. They have one me over quite quickly!

Back
Top Bottom