Seachem cichlid salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Before you get to thinking lol, no I do not use it. I only use Kosher salt to treat certain things as needed. I was at a buddy's house and he has a 55 gallon African tank. Mainly yellow labs. Anyway..

He was using the salt, I don't say anything as he's been doing his thing for years so it is what it is IMO.

But he asked me to grab a cup and BAM! Filled it with water and it got super heated and melted the plastic cup!! This is added to an aquarium with live fish?! This stuff is crazy! I'm calling Seachem tomorrow just to find out what happen.

I see there's magnesium in it, so I know magnesium and water don't mix but... It was crazy. My hand actually got really hot. He laughed as I'm guessing he knew what was coming.

Well... That's it.

Reminds me of a funny my pops pulled on me as a kid. I needed to put a bit of gasoline in a project we were doing and he told me to go grab a jar to put it in, me being lazy I noticed a styrofoam cup close to me and I said I'll just use this. He was about to tell me something but held back and said ok go ahead. You should of seen the expression on my face when that thing started melting in my hand and pops started laughing his head off. Lesson learned.

I used to use the API cichlid salts untill I learned I didn't really need it. But I did notice once while mixing it in the 5 gal bucket that Tue water was a few degrees warmer than the rest. I know for pools we add a calcium something powder to raise the carbonate hardness to protect the plastic stuff from the chlorine and when we mix it in 5g buckets and it gets real hot I wander if some of that is in seachems product

Back
Top Bottom