Seashells in a freshwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,

I have a African cichlid substrate in my 65g and it consists of beautiful conch shells and more, I was wondering if I can put seashells in the aquarium from Florida waters. It is a hard water aquarium.
Let me know what you think!

Depends on size of tank vs. amount of shells. I personally would be content with 7.8.

If you already have had some in your 65 for a couple months than they have you at 7.8 and I would assume not mess with them, consistent ph is a crucial aspect of keeping feesh!

If you already have had some in your 65 for a couple months than they have you at 7.8 and I would assume not mess with them, consistent ph is a crucial aspect of keeping feesh!

Thanks. Yeah. Gotta keep my Africans safe ?

Unless adding a lot, they will not buffer the water THAT much...and besides, Africans like it above 8.0 generally and that's why many people add crushed coral to their filter. There is nothing wrong with adding shells, it's a natural buffer and does not cause the pH swings like chemicals do, that can put fish into pH shock

Back
Top Bottom