Series of dumb questions part two :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppygulp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good morning guys! Who wants to help a blond out? :) My son really wanted to get some African cichlids. While he was away at school I hit a Craigslist ad not knowing a darn thing... So here we go. They are in a 55 gallon tank. I purchased 6 yellow labs and I think 12 blue and black striped somethings of the african variety. All unsexed about 1 to 2 inches long. How do I determine sex? Is that too many? How many can I have in one tank? How many caves will I need and what size will they need as adults? How big will they get? How often should I feed? How long should I grind up their food? I have been buying pellets and using a pepper grinder to grind it up. What is an oto catfish? Can I have them and crayfish too? And can I add a red tail shark in the mix? As you can see I got a long way to go. Now I am setting up a second 55 gallon that I could use for spill over. Please get me going in the right direction. Cuz next year, I would like to set up a 150. :)

Wow! Slow down! Ok...

Sex is done by looking at the fins, markings, and other specific things. Everything is different for each species.
The size questions and the amount of fish per tank questions depend on the "blue or black stripped something of African variety" it can be so many different kinds, you need to look it up and find out.
You want a lot of caves, all different sizes.
A redtail would not be a good idea.
Crayfish may or may it work. It depends on the fish, setup, and so on.
Feed them two or three small meals a day.

Here they are I think they are called demsis. Cute little things. Not near as shy as the yellow labs.

image-2573788670.jpg

image-2824043927.jpg

image-3767809866.jpg

image-1772189832.jpg

I'll order caves this week. They only have two caves and two big holy rocks. They must be unhappy. But they have all found hiding spots anyways. They are so shy.

The blue fish Are demosonis. They like to live in groups of ten or more. They should be alright in the 55 gallon with the labs. They get to about 4-5 inches. Labs get 6-7

They will be alright, just have good filtration, and lots of hiding spots. Make sure you test your water to know they are safe.

Thank you all for the tips!!! Appreciate the support. And I'm sure the fish will too!

Back
Top Bottom