Setting up a peacock bass tank advice please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyD90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm new too this forum but not new to keeping fish, had a reef tank for 6 years now and just sold up everything. I have decided I want a showcase cichlids tank and I'm going to go for peacock bass, I will start by telling you the size of my tank it's 6ft long 2.5ft wide and 1.5ft deep. Used to be a reef tank. It's a 148 gallon tank with a 150 litre sump underneath and 2 x 2200lph external filters attached and a 9 watt uv steriliser. Now my questions are this tank is an open top aquarium is that a bad thing ? I mean do peacock bass jump out ? As this is an ex saltwater tank I have not got a lid ? And it's only 18 inches deep will this be a problem. And I am using sand for a substrate with drift wood but I have been told to not use any decor as these fish need as much room as possible. So hope this is in the right place and thanks in advance for your help.

I will also add its 800 litres when full and with the sump it's 950 litres of water

I always put lids on my tanks. I have never had saltwater, so I don't know why you wouldn't have a lid...they don't jump out I guess...I would get a lid, I would not want to wake up to a 2 foot peacock bass on my living room floor. But I'm not so sure that tank is big enough. Even though there is a lot of water, and its 6 feet long, it's only 30" deep and peacock bass can grow bigger then that, so it might be cramped.

What about some large South American like oscars, jack Dempsey, Texas, and green terror.

The tanks not really big enough to have 20+" pbass. But it will house them comfy for a short period of time. They need between 300-500 for multiple. Mainly for the length of the tank. 4-5 huge fish in a 6' tank is no different than 4-5 1' fish in a 4' tank.

They are a pain to break away from live and frozen food, to get on pellets.

They grow like weeds, I had four that I got at 1" after the first month they were at 3".

Good luck with them, they are awesome fish, full of personality. Always at the glass begging.

I had a buddy with some pbass and they shatered one side of the tank. They are tank busters. I wouldnt put them in a 180. I would say 300 gallon minimum.

I hear egg crate is good and cheap tops, peacocks do jump out if water , but it's usually hitting bugs and fish in top

Thanks for everybody's input I was a bit worried if the tank was big enough ? I haven't got any fish in the tank yet as its still cycling, the breeder who I am buying the peacock bass from has got them at 5cm and at a really good price for here in the UK, he has bred them in a 10x10x5ft pond and it looks an amazing set up if I had the money that's what I would do! He's got them up to about 2 feet long in under 3 years. He has assured me if they did get too big in my aquarium he would buy them back off me but i like to have pets long term and not just trade them in. And here in the UK the weather is hit and miss (rubbish) so I don't think I could enjoy a pond like I do an aquarium.

I'm not one to tell anyone not to do what they want in their tank. If you have a plan by all means do it. Obviously I have tried to keep them myself. They were just to picky for me to grow out.

Thanks every1 I have decided against the peacock bass and am currently researching other freshwater fish I can keep safely in my tank :)

I would suggest South American cichlids. They have a lot of variety, size, colors, personality, and so on. My future 150 basement bar tank is probably going to be 5 uaru, 2 keyholes, 20 penguins, geophagus brasiliensis, geophagus surinamensis, and a stripped raph.

I would suggest South American cichlids. They have a lot of variety, size, colors, personality, and so on. My future 150 basement bar tank is probably going to be 5 uaru, 2 keyholes, 20 penguins, geophagus brasiliensis, geophagus surinamensis, and a stripped raph.

I'd take the brasiliensis out, they can be nasty, add a couple more maronii, and add a school of cories, but that's just me ;)

Well either way usually people who keep predatory fish or are into them don't keep community set ups. Myself included.

I'd like to hear what else interests the op before making suggestions. A 150g IMO is no different to stock than a 125.

My interests are in peacock bass but they are out of the question now. I'm considering booting my RO unit back up again and going with discus but still undecided :) and I don't want rush this as that where mistakes are made. Thanks for everybody's replies

I'm using children's play sand from my local argos store and its really clouded my water up I rinsed it really well under hot water but still got this cloudy water? See what tomorrow brings anybody else used children's play sand ??

Hey jimmy

Check out kesgrave.tropicals uk eBay seller he has some wonderfull stock at unbeatable prices

If you're thinking discus, I'd agree with the Uaru and geophagus suggestions. Uaru were actually known as "poor man's discus" back in the day, but are now far rarer than discus, as discus have taken a strong foothold into the hobby with heavy selective breeding. i love my uaru, she's got a great personality, plus i have geophagus sp. rio pindare and the combo works very well, no RO needed, but it never hurts

Back
Top Bottom