Severum and Cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

W1nt3rsh0wl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have fully grown gold severum and a 1 inch long cory catfish which I would like to have together in one tank. Is this possible without the severum eating the catfish?

I have never seen a severum predate other fish. Mine have always been peaceful towards small fish. That being said, others do report of it happening.

Will the cory even fit in it's mouth? How big is the tank?

38 gallon(severum) and a ten gallon (cory)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are there other fish in there with the severum?

My biggest fear would be that if the severum has been alone for a while it may take him a while to get used to sharing the tank. He may chase the cory a bit. On the other hand, he may totally ignore it.

Honestly, if it was me, I would put them together and watch them for a while.

I have clown loach and a rainbow shark with the severum and they seem to get along fine. Once in a while the severum chases the others around but mostly when feeding.

you need to get rid of the clown loach , they need to be in schools of 4-5 and your tank is to small for that
I don't think you will have any problems with the cat fish , I don't think it would fit in his mouth , but corries need to be in schools the more the better

I wont be moving the loach but im getting a larger tank and more loaches

Ive also had the cory for a long time and his friends have passed on

By larger tank, that means at least a 150 gallon tank. For a small group of clown loaches. Actually, the severum will need a tank of that size as well.

My 4 severums are in a 150 with 3 sterbaii corys and 3 clown loaches and they all get along just fine.

Theres no way i could get 150 but at most 75

By larger tank, that means at least a 150 gallon tank. For a small group of clown loaches. Actually, the severum will need a tank of that size as well.

My 4 severums are in a 150 with 3 sterbaii corys and 3 clown loaches and they all get along just fine.
A single severum would be fine in a 4ft 75. A group of clown loaches should really be in a 6ft tank though.

Theres no way i could get 150 but at most 75

I really don't like to say this, but if you can't get more than a 75 you shouldn't have clown loaches or severums. They both are going to get at least 10 inches long and create a lot of waste, and they'll need more space than a 75 can provide. I would say a 120 is the absolute minimum for severums and clown loaches.

Edit: defering to dalto's judgement on a severum in a 75. I wouldn't personally do it, though.

Ok ill try my best to find a tank of that size but why do loaches need such space. I know they reach a large size when fully grown but is that only why?

Ok ill try my best to find a tank of that size but why do loaches need such space. I know they reach a large size when fully grown but is that only why?

They can get over a foot long and you need a group. They're also surprisingly active, so they need the space to move around. Further, they have some fairly complex group behaviors- more of a "pack" fish than a schooling fish, hence having enough space for a group of them to both be together and get away at times. They also create tons of waste so you need a tank that can handle the bioload.

I totally get wanting clown loaches- loaches in general are my favorite group of fish and I got my 150 just for clown loaches. If you don't mind losing the bright coloration and you want fish with that same fascinating loach behavior, sidthimunki loaches would be perfect in a 38.

What is the smallest group they can be kept in and show normal behavior and what is the smallest aquarium that group can be in?

What is the smallest group they can be kept in and show normal behavior and what is the smallest aquarium that group can be in?

3 is the bare minimum, and I don't like less than 5 (soon to be remedied in my 150, as some of the old inhabitants get older and pass on). A 120 gallon, and preferably a tank of at least 6 feet long, is necessary. Anything less than 4 feet by 2 feet is just not gonna cut it.

If you want botiid loaches I highly recommend looking into some of the other species- zebra loaches, sidthimunkis, angelicus I think would all be good in tanks between 40 and 75 gallons.

Do severums need to be in pairs like loaches

I think the largest tank i can get is a 100 gallon. Anybody know where I can order a cheap, good quality aquarium?

A severum will be fine alone.

The best place to get aquariums is local. The freight cost tends to be pretty overwhelming on aquariums.

Do severums need to be in pairs like loaches

I think the largest tank i can get is a 100 gallon. Anybody know where I can order a cheap, good quality aquarium?

Nope, severums can be kept alone. Craigslist is your best bet for big cheap tanks.

Back
Top Bottom