Sexing angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IanEHeCook

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 44 gallon community aquarium with two angelfish in it. They both appear female to me but I am not good at sexing angelfish. They have recently become inseparable however and I would like a second opinion in case I have to make arrangements. To move one out so they do not terrorize the tank if they breed.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425605235.764795.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425605255.331440.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Judging by their size compared to their tankmates, they are too small to even guess. Even at a larger size it can be tricky. If you are wanting a pair, your best bet would be to have a small group and wait for them to pair off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Angelfish are actually schooling fish so it's always possible that this "closeness" is a reaction to their only being 2 in the tank. Unfortunately, even 2 females can pair off and spawn together so you really need to just watch how they react to their tankmates. If either one starts to defend a territory aggressively, I would suggest removing it from the community tank. Not much more you can do if you want to keep the peace.

Hope this helps. (y)

I have had 2 females pair off in the past, both laid eggs lol. I wish I could remember what the difference in breeding tubes was to tell you for certain.... From your pics I might guess they are male/female pair (white=male/zebra=female).

Regarless of the genders watch the other fish in the tank, they can be protective and territorial with eggs.

Back
Top Bottom