Sexing Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tracygh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think it's safe to say that forehead shape isn't a reliable sexing tool, and the only other thing I have heard to look for/at is breeding tubes. Can someone please define these for me, and what characteristics lend themselves to each gender? Picures or references would be awesome too.

TIA

Tracy

*of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

Most of what I've heard is just buy 6 angels and see what ones pair up. Sexing angelfish is just nearly impossible to do reliably.

I already have 4, I'm sure they are over a year old. I am pretty sure one is a female, she looks like she's swallowed a pea, so I'm presuming she's full of eggs. I'm *thinking* the ohter 3 are male, but one of them has a slightly roundr belly area....
I think I found the breeding tubes, and I *think* I can see a slight difference, at least in the big-bellied one. What I am seeing are very short (a couple of millimetres) tube like things protruding from near the tail on the underbelly of the angels. Two of them are definitely a bit larger, and very straight, angling to the front just a wee bit. The big belly one has a smaller tube, and it seems to end on an angle, pointing somewhat backward. The other one is modest and won't let me look LOL.
Are these breeding tubes, and am I looking at them correctly?

Tracy

I think you have it right. Here's is a pic of my angel during spawning time...the tube is small but the area is clear.

sep252005004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom