sexing bolivian rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

k.mascher86

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 br and was wondering what sex they were

ForumRunner_20120715_140144.jpg

ForumRunner_20120715_140159.jpg

Also if anyone knows anything about eartheaters

ForumRunner_20120715_140528.jpg

ForumRunner_20120715_140617.jpg

And your talking about the rams right? cause i got to looking at all the fish, and i notice one in each pair has the elongated top fins and the one ram also has the fanned out tail while the other 2 just kinda have blunt tails

Ya I'm talkin bout the rams. Idk anything about the other fish u posted pics of haha. But yea all species are kind of similar in sexing. You just gotta look for a few key things IMO

Well the eartheater pair are probably my favorite of the tank! the tank sits right next to where i sit on my couch and they sit right next to me. The suspected male of the two has been opening his mouth real wide and convulsing at the other one, then they rub bodies. The rams have lip locked a few times but pretty much stay close, but not too close to eachother, but that could go either way

I see. My German blue rams paired up and it was kinda hard to tell. But they basically just stayed next to each other most of the time. When one swam away, the other one would turn and swim back fast to him/ her fast haha

Mine laid eggs in a little under a week. Idk don't lose hope yet. Maybe buy 1 more male and 1 more female and let them pair then remove the 2 that dont pair. Ive heard a lot of people doing that. I got really lucky. Only bought 1 of each and they paired

Are they egg layers or brooders? im not really worried about mating......it would just be awesome to finally have fry

Egg layers. They lay the eggs then protect them. It's awesome

Haha yea. What are brooders?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the only 2 my lfs had........i could put in an order if i wanted to mate. Now, i have the 4 fish that none max out over 5" and 4 albino cory cats that are maybe 1/2". i was looking into getting a couple kribenis. I have a 55 gallon. Could i do that?

Ones that have the eggs in their mouths till they hatch and then spit the fry out

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom