Sexing Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all :)

I purchased three pairs of cichlids from a local breeder a while back and now I'm wondering if she may have sexed one pair wrong? The other two pairs are doing great. It's just these two. I don't know if the male is just a stinker and likes it rough or if there's a possibility the girl isn't actually a girl and is "pretending" to be so not to get his butt whooped more??
1st pic boy?
2nd pic girl??

Attachments

• image-3014027794.jpg
    image-3014027794.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3114387588.jpg
    image-3114387588.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 149
It is stressed. The one wont leave the other alone. I thought it was "normal" behaviour for boy/girl but the one that was supposed to be a girl started showing similar colouring towards another fish. Confused me so I thought I'd get other opinions. How do you vent them?

I'm thinking this is going to be near impossible. Any hints you want to share? Lol! They're not like my discus at all. They scatter when my hands are in the tank. If this was Trooper I could probably get him to lay right down in my hand.

I'm thinking this is going to be near impossible. Any hints you want to share? Lol! They're not like my discus at all. They scatter when my hands are in the tank. If this was Trooper I could probably get him to lay right down in my hand.

Sometimes sneaking up on them at night works. Or giving food that will make them come to the top to eat and scoping them up real fast works

Catch them by surprise during the night with food... Sounds like how I got hubby to agree to the last tank I bought. Lol!

I LOVE my breeder!! She's coming to my house to show/help me catch and check the fish! If it is in fact a boy she said she'll take him back and give me two for him. Lol!

Ok so she couldn't make it.. I did manage to get in touch with another local breeder (friend of a friend) and he came looked at (what I thought was a her) and said that's a boy! He took him and is going to keep him for two weeks, see if he colours up a bit. He was really stressed out. So I guess I'll see what's going to happen in a couple weeks :-( Is it strange that I'm sad and missing it already?? I've had it since it was a wee fry and now it's almost 5"

Andrew? You've been the only one who responded to this post. I'm wondering since we removed the cichlid whose sexuality was in question. The one that was left behind (for sure a boy) has gone into hiding. He hasn't even come out to eat with the rest of the fish. He's been waiting until everyone else is gone into their little "beds" before he'll come out at all. Is this normal?

Andrew? You've been the only one who responded to this post. I'm wondering since we removed the cichlid whose sexuality was in question. The one that was left behind (for sure a boy) has gone into hiding. He hasn't even come out to eat with the rest of the fish. He's been waiting until everyone else is gone into their little "beds" before he'll come out at all. Is this normal?

Oh wow I've never had that problem. Maybe it was a female. Has your person checked again on that fish any change?

I haven't gotten to see my fish since it left here but I did talk to the friend who recommended him and he said there hasn't been any change in the fish at all. The guy who has her/him breeds fish and his fish room is on strict lighting so I haven't been able to go there. Hopefully this weekend I'll get to go and see for myself. I just hope the guy in my tank is ok. I don't understand his behaviour at all. He went from being one of the two tank bosses to completely anti-social. He's wedged himself under the driftwood so I can't even get a good look at him :-(

Back
Top Bottom