Sexing my blue ram please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjcballa22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I added a blue ram to my tank a few weeks ago from a fish store. The guy seems to know what he was talking about as far as sexing my blue ram but I want to be sure. It's allegedly a male blue ram but according websites and other forums, a male blue ram does not have blue dots in the black spot. Mine has blue dots in the black spot. The color on my fish is fading and sometimes shows better when the fish doesn't feel stressed. I was getting concerned because I know they should be in pairs but before I make an order I need to know for sure whether mine is a male or female. I believe this is just a regular blue ram. I tried getting the best pics of the fish so please see all pics. Please let me know your opinion/thoughts.

Attachments

• image-3136431639.jpg
    image-3136431639.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3823645767.jpg
    image-3823645767.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2513527903.jpg
    image-2513527903.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3382312143.jpg
    image-3382312143.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 68
  • image-2936324998.jpg
    image-2936324998.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image-357598514.jpg
    image-357598514.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 67
Hm. I find it hard to tell because it hasn't got much colour. Is it stressed? What are you feeding? What's the tank mates? From the photos it doesn't look like it has a red belly (female characteristic) and it doesn't have the pure black dot. (male characteristic)

Tank mates are 1 dwarf gourami, 3 Cory cats, 1 balloon Molly, 3 chameleon shrimp and 4 ghost shrimp. It didn't much color when I bought the fish but when the lights off, it doesn't look as pale as in pics with light on. I feed it frozen bloodworms and recently added shrimp pellets and algae wafers into their diet. Water parameters are ammonia around 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 5-20ppm, pH around 7.6, temp around 76f

I bet they will color up after a few days. Mine were pretty pale after being shipped to the pet shop and then brought home to my tank. They have gotten a ton of color in just a week. My female has a very noticeable pink belly and that is the easiest way I am able to tell them apart.

How is the ram and DG, I'm very interested in keeping these two together and was just wondering if they'd be okay?

I bet they will color up after a few days. Mine were pretty pale after being shipped to the pet shop and then brought home to my tank. They have gotten a ton of color in just a week. My female has a very noticeable pink belly and that is the easiest way I am able to tell them apart.

I've had mine for a few weeks with no real progress in color. I would expect bringing an opposite sex into tank would help.

How is the ram and DG, I'm very interested in keeping these two together and was just wondering if they'd be okay?

To be honest with you, the minute I put the blue ram into the tank, he followed the dwarf gourami like it was a king. I do not lie and they have no trouble with each other. Never fought. Now my blue ram doesn't follow along as much anymore. The funny thing is that my bolivian ram did the same thing and they got jealous of each other following the gourami. Sadly my bolivian passed but right now I have no issues with the two. May it be the color or sex of the gourami? I haven't a clue but I have a sunset gourami.

I've had mine for a few weeks with no real progress in color. I would expect bringing an opposite sex into tank would help. To be honest with you, the minute I put the blue ram into the tank, he followed the dwarf gourami like it was a king. I do not lie and they have no trouble with each other. Never fought. Now my blue ram doesn't follow along as much anymore. The funny thing is that my bolivian ram did the same thing and they got jealous of each other following the gourami. Sadly my bolivian passed but right now I have no issues with the two. May it be the color or sex of the gourami? I haven't a clue but I have a sunset gourami.
great! I'll let you know when I get mine!

great! I'll let you know when I get mine!

IMO I would add the gourami first into your tank and wait a few weeks before adding a blue ram. I think it's better so the ram doesn't get territorial if you add a gourami after. You should try getting a male and female blue ram. How long have you had your tank running? How many gallons?

IMO I would add the gourami first into your tank and wait a few weeks before adding a blue ram. I think it's better so the ram doesn't get territorial if you add a gourami after. You should try getting a male and female blue ram. How long have you had your tank running? How many gallons?
tanks been running for a while and I've had the gourami in for a while and it's 20g

The all of them, the dorsal and tail are a sure tell for yours

image-33380732.jpg

Here's a male notice how short his fins are

image-1886692900.jpg

Here's a long fin gold, fins are very similar.

Yours has very nice fins for a female

The all of them, the dorsal and tail are a sure tell for yours

View attachment 202798

Here's a male notice how short his fins are

View attachment 202801

Here's a long fin gold, fins are very similar.

Yours has very nice fins for a female

Very well sir! Also, should i look out for a blue ram with a plain black spot (no blue dots in the black spot) as a way to sex it as a male? Or no?

Back
Top Bottom