Sexing my krib

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gakkan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I can't tell what mine is, I'm in two minds, one day I think it's definitely a boy the next day I'm questioning it. Any help please?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397305435.517483.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397305480.174246.jpg

Female, males have a dorsal fin extension, but that female has no color, are there any males In the tank?

Thanks a lot, There are no others in there, she did have a lot of colour about a month ago though.

That is a male krib. Females will have a red tone to their bellies even when they are alone. When males color up they just get darker colored.

Op try to get a shot at the dorsal fin again, now that in looking at it closely there may be some extension. Regardless if it is a male it is very young, or a cull.

This is the problem I had, it doesn't have the definitive attributes of either sex. Will try and get a pic with the fin up.

The best I could get, only flares it's fin for a split second.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397326438.319019.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397326463.257115.jpg

The best I could get, only flares it's fin for a split second.

View attachment 232965View attachment 232966
The Krib on the right is definitely a female, the Krib on the left I'm not sure. The male will have a pointed anal and dorsal fin, with colour going right to the pointed tip of the dorsal. The female dorsal is rounded at the tip with NO colour going to the tip.....

The Krib on the right is definitely a female, the Krib on the left I'm not sure. The male will have a pointed anal and dorsal fin, with colour going right to the pointed tip of the dorsal. The female dorsal is rounded at the tip with NO colour going to the tip.....

It's the same krib in both pics =P that's the problem, at one angle it looks like a female, then it flares it's dorsal and it looks like a male. It's not quite rounded it's not quite torpedo shape, it's in between. It has a bit of a point on it's dorsal like a male, but a more rounded tail like a female instead of diamond like a male.

I think it may be transgender =P

Female krib and males are longer with more elongated fins and a diff shape tale fin

Female on top in the picture. The tail fins are rounded. The male is on the bottom in the picture. The tail is like a diamond shape almost

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1397515557013.jpg
    1397515557013.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 48
That is a juv female a stressed one at that are there a lot of plants in the tank and caves? I bred Kribs for 8 yrs she is albino mix. Give her time and she will color up nicely :)

Back
Top Bottom