Sexing Salousis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got 6 1.25" salousi's about 5 days ago and I've noticed that a couple have darker edging on their fins than other... 4/6 are completely yellow still with some lighter striping while the other 2 have grey-black edging on the front of their dorsals and ventrals. Is that just a normal part of their coloring up process, or are those 2 likely male?

I can try to get some pictures if needed

Ok so the males go a purple to a blue with dark blue strips and females stay yellow.

I know that, but how does it look when juveniles start sexing out? I know they just don't turn blue overnight, there's a phase they go through in between where they aren't all the was one color or another

From reading at least on these since I have them as well the male made have a jewel spot on his fin. Not the best way to tell but looks to be the case with these.....but thake a look at this great pics through their phase....

All my males had one egg spot and none of my females had any egg spots at all.

http://www.african-cichlid.com/Saulosi.htm

Here is a photo showing the change

Attachments

• image-655545653.jpg
    image-655545653.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 109
Thanks!
I have 2 that look very similar to the 2nd one in that picture, does that mean they are makes or just maturing faster?

Now that I looked at that link I realize they are definitely male since females stay nearly 100% yellow.
I'm surprised that they are starting to change at such a small size, like mentioned they are only about 1.25" currently, but i'm excited as well!

Does anyone know what size they begin spawning at?

Back
Top Bottom