shell dwellers////chiclid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abomb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello

i am setting up a 30 gal tank and was wondering if shell dwellers can live with other small chiclids. if not can i run a mbuna tank with 30 gal. i plan on having lots of plant////slate cover. sand substrate. please help. Idealy i would like

some shell dwellers
yellow labs. Bright yellow fish and maybe a bright turqoise fish those blue johanis maybe.

thanks

adam

if you are talking about the african cichlid shell dwellers then yes, you can put them in a 30 gal since most are fairly small cichlids.

Your options will be limited as far as the mbuna. You could do a trio of yellow labs, rusties, or saulosis. I would say around 6 or 7 fish max in a tank that size. Stay away from the johanniis (if you are talking about melanochromis johannii) they are far too aggressive for a tank that size.

I will take a much more conservitive approach and say no to Mbuna. You can mix some shellies in with Lake Tang fish. Keep in mind that all of the fish I mentioned like to dig and will uproot plants.

Back
Top Bottom