Shock in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zactheninja

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The other day I put my hand in my 240 chiclid tank and felt a bit of a shock, I went through each piece of equipment and couldn't feel the shock after I unplugged everything.
So I plugged everything back in and all was well.
Tonight I felt the same shock, unplugged everything and then plugged in one at a time each thing, no shock. Done, nothing.

It's happened twice so I assume it might happen again, but I can't seem to find anything wrong.

And I'm worried about how the chiclids will be affected if I don't catch it early again and the shock goes on for any period of time.

A grounding prob sounds like a band aid but would it help?

Thank you everyone.

perhaps static build up? do you get similar sensation touching things around house?
its still heating season here in chicagoland so i get to feel this quite a bit :(

Do you have a ground probe in the tank? It's a must have (at least in my tanks) since it does prevent stray voltage from your equipments. Hence stops the electrocution. They're not that pricey either. Just my thought

Make sure your heater is actually on while testing it out. Your fish will not be harmed unless the tank is grounded by a probe.

I would not add a grounding probe . Just make sure everything is plugged into a protected outlet .

Back
Top Bottom