Should I buy this flowerhorn cichlid ?? Petsmart is basicaly giving it away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Petsmart here has a beautiful looking Flower Horn Cichlid for sale.. 2 actually, original price is 25$ and they have it on sale for $2.50 lol.. Its only about 3 inches right now.. Im just unsure of what tank to put it in lol..

My 30g tank is my African Cichlid tank, I have few assorted Cichlids like electric yellow and so forth in there it is only a 30g tank though.. My 55g is pretty overstocked right now.. 3 Angle fish, 3 Bosamani rainbows and like 20 other fish.. And the P.H in that tank is around 6.2 due to the driftwood so I doubt that tank would work lol.

My hexagon is obviously not big enough... My 44g Pentagon is my discus tank and its pretty well stocked... PH isn't very high in that tank either..

Maybe Im just getting excited about the price and the beauty of that fish... I know how big they can get... what would you guys do ? skip it.. or snatch it for $2

I personally wouldn't take a free flowerhorn. I despise hybrids in the hobby

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No they get huge. Think about how fast this 2$ will turn into another large tank investment..

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

If you have time and money to invest, go ahead and save him from the ignorance that IS petsmart. It's a seriously great deal, but only go for it if you're willing to provide him with a spacious home, good food and well maintained water quality. It'll be lots of work and money in the long run keeping a fish that gets to be so large. But if you're amply prepared, then yes! :)

Personally speaking bad idea. I purchased one without knowing better. Not only do they get into the 12-15 inch range they are predatory and highly aggressive. They need to be kept alone for life in a minimum 55 gal preferably 75+. 55 is listed as minimum acceptable but once they are over 9 inches I'd upgrade to a 75-90.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom