Should I chance it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so there's a guy on Craigslist offering young 1" red zebras for a $1 each. However, they said they weren't for sure they were 100% zebra because they don't know who the dad is. They did say so far they've been solid orange. Should I buy them and take the chance that they're zebra or skip the deal? Thanks.

Blueiz is right, depends on the tank goals. It also depends on the current occupents. If you have the right kind of tank/fish i would.

I say go for it. Whats the worst that can happen? You dont plan on breeding the fish, or at least trying to do anything with the fry. I seriously dont see any reason why you shouldnt, especially at $1 each

Yeah my goal of the 55g is to have just a community mbuna tank and I don't really feel like I want to get into breeding them, at least not yet.

well based on the other fish in the tank, i seriously doubt they are hybrids. And if they were hyrbids, i dont think they would be red. But who knows. Its worth a shot, and at 1", i dont think they would do much damage to the fish currently in the tank, and would give plenty of time to weed out any aggression... jmo

well based on the other fish in the tank, i seriously doubt they are hybrids. And if they were hyrbids, i dont think they would be red. But who knows. Its worth a shot, and at 1", i dont think they would do much damage to the fish currently in the tank, and would give plenty of time to weed out any aggression... jmo

I was kidding and actually he needs to be careful. If the other cichlids are larger then the small cichlid by too much they will not hesitate killing/eating/ or harassing it to death. You might have a good use for that 10g.

Sounds like a good plan, especially at the price. If I found any that inexpensive in my area I'd be all over it. I don't even have a lfs, just a few big box(I've had no luck with about anything I've gotten at Petsmart). Good luck!

He sent me a picture. Only some of them are red zebras, I'm going to email him now.
mail

"I am not sure if the dad is a red zebra. So far they are solid orange. I also have a tank of red shoulder peacocks about an inch, also in the picture."
That's what he said.

Back
Top Bottom