Should I Expect Eggs Soon ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 4 discus and two of wich are about 3.5 inches in diameter and growing at a steady rate. I am not sure on there age but I would gues at about 8 months or so.

These two discus have been together for a very long time, and are now pairing off. Well i think they are and I want you guys to help me reach a conclusion.
So there signs are that one will approach the other and bow. it will then do the usual cichlid dance. Then after all this they will jaw lock.
Colours are great especially when in a certain distance from each other.

Any way it has been suggested to me that they might be fighting but this is the exact same behavior my Angel's would do previous to spawning. The jaw-locking is not aggressive either.

The only thing that is preventing me from believing that they are paired off is that they dont spend all there time together. One will swim openly around the whole tank, where as the other protects the back end of the tank chasing visiters away.

So what do you guys think ?

Thank you in advance.

It sounds like pairing off to me. The proof will be if an actual spawn takes place. There is no need to worry. They will chase the other discus away if they spawn, but will not harm them.

Thank you for the information BiranNY. How long do you think it will until they spawn ?

Only your discus know that Steven. You can't rush things. If these are young fish the female probably won't get much help from the male. Patience is paramount with discus.

Thank you, :) I was just curious to know wheather or not to try to persuade my mother to let me have another tank for the fry lol.

Back
Top Bottom