Shy jack dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a really nice jack dempsey the other day. As expected, he explored his new home for about a hour yesterday morning, and since then he's taken a liking to a piece of driftwood. He's been hiding behind it for going on 36 hours.

My firemouth did the same thing, as did a convict I used to have when I first got them. As do a lot of cichlids it seems. They opened up when I added dithers, specifically black skirt tetras.

Firemouths and convicts don't get as big/personable as jacks though, so I was thinking does the jack just need some time to adjust, or will it need the dithers?

I have 11 black skirt tetras in a 29g with my male firemouth. Would it be ok to move some with the jack? If so, how many? I know the 6-8 minimum schooling rule, but I want there to be as little tetra as possible. Would 2 or 3 be ok? The jack is in a 20g long growout, with a 55 waiting.

I have had my pair for over a month and they still hide under their rocks 90% of the time. I did a lot of reading on dither fish and decided to go with giant danios. I started with 8 and now have 4. When the lights go out at night I would hear a splash then wake up to one less danio. I think the black skirts will eventually end up as dinner but should be fine while your JD is growing.

Moved 3 from my 29g a few hours ago, so I'll see how it goes in the next few days or so. Dempsey still in hiding.

Back
Top Bottom