Sick Mbuna Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Urkey82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 16 Mbuna mixed African Cichlids and 1 Trinidad Pleco. For the past week, the pleco has had pale colored stringy, trailing poop and 2 of the cichlids have swollen bellies. Both cichlids are male, but I don't know the sex of the pleco. All of the fish are eating fine. What is wrong and what should I do?

I feed the cichlids 2x/day a mixture of Wardley Cichlid Flake Food and vegetarian sinking pellets. I feed the pleco 1x/day a TetraVeggie Tropical Algae Wafer.

reduce the amount u feed, some people feed a small to med amount of food every 2-3 days so they could just be getting more food than the others and are fat.
the pleco could prob use some driftwood or zucchini to help its digective system etc.
how do the males behave?x

The males aren't very aggressive and don't seem to be acting out of the ordinary. Well not as aggressive as people were saying they were anyway. How do I feed the pleco the driftwood or zucchini without the cichlids stealing it?

Urkey82 said:
The males aren't very aggressive and don't seem to be acting out of the ordinary. Well not as aggressive as people were saying they were anyway. How do I feed the pleco the driftwood or zucchini without the cichlids stealing it?

It is ok if the Cichlids eat the zucchini, just put it in 20 or 30 minutes after you turn the lights out. Read about "malawi bloat." "Assorted african cichlids" can cover many different diet, water parametes and aggression levels. Youtube blanching vegetables for fish.

Urkey82 said:
I feed the cichlids 2x/day a mixture of Wardley Cichlid Flake Food and vegetarian sinking pellets. I feed the pleco 1x/day a TetraVeggie Tropical Algae Wafer.

Just putting driftwood in the tank will allow the pleco to eat it. Also feed new life spectrum food instead of wardley imho.

what are the cichlids?
the driftwood just sits there in the tank, like a norm deco but it helps the plecos to live. i need to get some very soon for mine, goin to lfs tomorrow.

All I know is they are Mbuna cichlids. I will do some research and see what I can find. I will post as soon as I find the info.

The wardly is probably pretty high in crude protien and could be the cause of the bloat, NLS, Omega or Hakari, would be what I replace the wardly with. I only feed once a day or every other day, the pleco maybe one of the types that need wood to chew on.

Ok so I have found electric yellow cichlids, a male auratus, blue kenyi, a male labeotropheus feullebomi ( I call it the peach dalmation), an albino fish but i don't know what kind of albino, and there are bright orange ones that I wasn't able to identify. The pics are in my public album.

Last edited:
OB fuelleborni is your peach one lol
there is no albino in there, but prob a male red zebra as they are much paler. unless one has red eyes? x

Yup what Mogurako said, the crude protien should be under 40 on the label, New Life Spectrum is what I went to for that reason.

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
OB fuelleborni is your peach one lol
there is no albino in there, but prob a male red zebra as they are much paler. unless one has red eyes? x

Yup it has red eyes .... I couldn't get a picture of it

Back
Top Bottom