Single Blood Parrot or Pair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to place a blood parrot with my baby oscar but the parrots at my lfs are either too large or too small to be placed with him. Could I get a baby (they're about 1") and raise it in my community aquarium until it is large enough to live with my oscar? Would it be better to get 1 or a pair? ...I don't want the blood parrots to pick on my oscar when they are eventually together.

My community aquarium is a planted 55 gallon with flourite substrate and caves and driftwood. I have 2 large angelfish, 1 small angelfish, 3 powder blue gouramis, 5 neon tetras, 5 cherry barbs, 2 platies, 5 guppies and an algae eater... I'm not sure what type it is but it isn't common. My pH is 7.6

The tank the parrot and oscar will eventually be together in a 75 gallon.

IMO, a 75 gallon tank is only large enough to house a single adult oscar-- I wouldn't try to add another large cichlid.

I am on the fence on this. FWIW, my friend had a 75 gallon with an adult Jack Dempsey and an adult Tiger Oscar in it and they did alright. However I didn't feel that they had adequate room IMO. Before he added the Jack Dempsey the Oscar was always moving around the tank...always looking at guests that came over and everything. After the JD was added he pretty much sat in one place for the most part...moved a little but didn't seem as happy as before. It's doable but probably not very comfortable for the fish and most likely causes undue stress.

I would totaly agree with voodoo chilly. I know you were planning a custom tank, I would go for at least a 125. You could keep the blood parrot in the community tank for a while to grow out. Id keep an eye on the parrots tho as they grow larger. Its ben from work btw :)

Go with a jack dempsey and jurupari instead of the hybrid :wink:

Back
Top Bottom