skunk biota vs. rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquakev

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well,

My skunk biota (Botia morleti) is harrassing my german rams. I just looked him up and it says it is semi agressive. When I purchased him he was labled as peacfull. He is about and inche long. Anyway, do you people think I will encounter problems and should remove him? He is in a 55g with neons, rummy nose tetras and rams.

When I purchased him he was labled as peacfull.
:nono:
I have never owned one, but my understanding is they are semi-aggressive. If there are problems now, there will probably be problems in the future.

I've got three.
Have got to quite like them. I haven't so far seen mine to be agressive, but they do hold their own.
It may sound odd, but mine click when they eat. Have you noticed this? Jeff

A very tough botia indeed. When there are 3 or more they will mostly keep their aggressiveness to eachother (one dominant one chasing the others). In a large enough tank they will also keep to a certain small territory and only lash out at those who invade their territory. German Rams are too small and cannot defend themselves well enough to be in a tank with skunk loaches...but you do have a good size tank. Remember the ram will want to stay in the lower regions and so will the skunk. Expect the skunk to eventually get to 3 inches in length and if it is acting out aggressively towards your ram now it means the ram will probably be killed when the skunk is at full maturity/size. Skunk loaches will easily take over territory from yo-yo loaches and my yo-yos have killed one of my germans before I separated them into different tanks (the yo-yos and germans).

Skunks hide most of the time unless they don't have a hiding place, there is food out, or when they are chasing other skunks.

Most botia loaches click (their teeth) when eating or attacking a fish.

patryuji said:
Skunks hide most of the time unless they don't have a hiding place, there is food out, or when they are chasing other skunks.

Most botia loaches click (their teeth) when eating or attacking a fish.

Yup. That pretty much sums up my Skunks.
Luckily, they do spend all day chasing each other so I do get to see them! As to the clicking, I am glad I wasn't imagining things. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom