Small cichild for community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well established, planted 10g, currently stocked with a group of pygmy rasboras and rili shrimp. I'm planning to increase the number of rasboras. Just looking for a peaceful centerpiece fish. I'm not overly concerned about shrimp fry being eaten.

I'm ordering from Wet Spot Tropicals so these are the options I came up with, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

German ram
Checkerboard cichlid
Apistogramma bitaeniata

Thanks so much :flowers:

Unfortunately a 10 is too small for even dwarf cichlids. I kept a pair of apistos in a 10 for a few months. While they survived and ate, behavior was lacking.. no breeding displays.. male would.hide all the time. I moved them to a 20l and they spawned 8 days later. Behavior now is awesome. They patrol the tank and come to the glass and dance for food like a platy.. just way cooler!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dicrossus are for sure no Bueno in a 10, plus all of those will prey on adult shrimp typically

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

None are suitable for a 10g.

Stick to Nano species. A Sparkling Gourami or Scarlet Badis might work.

Make sure you have a lot of shrimp before you introduce a micro predator.

Dicrossus are for sure no Bueno in a 10, plus all of those will prey on adult shrimp typically

I've found that Dicrossus
filamentosa have shoaling tendencies and are happier way, so as stated they are a no go. As for Dicrossus maculatus, well they would eat your shrimp and the female would murder their tankmates (hard lesson learned) so they are also no good with other fish in a 10 gallon.

None are suitable for a 10g.

Stick to Nano species. A Sparkling Gourami or Scarlet Badis might work.

Make sure you have a lot of shrimp before you introduce a micro predator.

I disagree a single apisto used as a centerpiece would do just fine with the current stock minus the shrimp, which would obviously be food.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Might want to research that butterfly before you suggest it for a 10 gallon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh I had one before. The can get aggressive and such but in an aquarium with minimal tankmates, I'll recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I had one before. The can get aggressive and such but in an aquarium with minimal tankmates, I'll recommend them.

Min for this fish is 36x12x12. It can reach 5"

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

German blues, electrics, albino and golden Rams are good for a ten gallon.

Are they though?? What can you add based off first hand experiences?? My experiences would lead me to a much larger tank in hopes of keeping them alive?? Any pics of these albino you mentioned??

Are they though?? What can you add based off first hand experiences?? My experiences would lead me to a much larger tank in hopes of keeping them alive?? Any pics of these albino you mentioned??

It's all about the stock and setup, a single quality ram in an appropriately planted tank with a small school of smaller tetras or micro rasboras can easily be done as long as the plants are a faster growing variety to soak up excess nitrates between water changes.

For your viewing pleasure I give you the albino ram http://rs719.pbsrc.com/albums/ww194/gillie_photos/s_cc-0025-0031.jpg~320x480

The scarlet badis isn't a cichlid but they kinda look like one. Here is my single scarlet badis in my fluval spec 5. Females can be harder to come by but I have heard a group of males with lots of plants or hiding places can work. I love my single male for my center piece fish. Plus it is a lot of fun to watch them hunt in the grass.

Attachments

• scarletbadis5gal.jpg
    scarletbadis5gal.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 106
I disagree a single apisto used as a centerpiece would do just fine with the current stock minus the shrimp, which would obviously be food.

Well considering the OP has Rili Shrimp , I doubt they should be on the menu.

The issue with larger fish like Rams or Apistos in a 10g is they need excellent conditions. Smaller tanks' parameters change much easier and faster than larger tanks.

I'm sure you could keep a Ram or Apisto in a 10g. But AFAIK 20-30g are the recommended minimum ?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+2855+1087&pcatid=1087

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+889+1084&pcatid=1084

The scarlet badis isn't a cichlid but they kinda look like one. Here is my single scarlet badis in my fluval spec 5. Females can be harder to come by but I have heard a group of males with lots of plants or hiding places can work. I love my single male for my center piece fish. Plus it is a lot of fun to watch them hunt in the grass.

That's a great pic! I have 2 females and 1 male, really like them a lot. Are there any other fish in the tank?

Well rilis are the same species as cherries which I have used over the years to condition apistos for spawning and watched them ruthlessly hunt them down and if they were to big to swallow they were picked apart, so yes they will be on the menu.

20-30 gallons is minimum for most pairs, some species require larger and some pairs can be kept in a 10 gallon. Obviously some species get larger than others, but bitaeniata are in the group of average sized apistos with a mild temperament. I've never had one exceed 3 1/2 and the ones that got that big were close to dying of old age so I would say that based on 20 years of keeping and breeding dwarf cichlids, the op's interest in a single bitaeniata or quality ram is an option that will work.

That's a great pic! I have 2 females and 1 male, really like them a lot. Are there any other fish in the tank?

I had what I thought was a female and male badis.. The pic is of the "female" afer he colored up when we got home and promptly killed the larger prettier male over night. It is quite peaceful now. 1 male badis, 3 salt'n'pepper cories, and 2 oto cats.

Well rilis are the same species as cherries which I have used over the years to condition apistos for spawning and watched them ruthlessly hunt them down and if they were to big to swallow they were picked apart, so yes they will be on the menu.

20-30 gallons is minimum for most pairs, some species require larger and some pairs can be kept in a 10 gallon. Obviously some species get larger than others, but bitaeniata are in the group of average sized apistos with a mild temperament. I've never had one exceed 3 1/2 and the ones that got that big were close to dying of old age so I would say that based on 20 years of keeping and breeding dwarf cichlids, the op's interest in a single bitaeniata or quality ram is an option that will work.

Well the OP can speak for herself, but I don't think she wants her adult shrimp killed. Thus the "peaceful" stipulation.

And AFAIK a Ram or Apisto will slaughter the Shrimp in a small tank.
She said, Shrimplets can be eaten, not the adults.

But we'll see what she decides.

Back
Top Bottom