small cichlid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petunia100

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am setting up a 90 gllon tank and am plannin on having 4 Angelfish and several schooling species of tetras (larger than a neon). I would like to include some small cichlids. The problem is I have been receiving different information from each of my local pet stores. One says that apistos are hardier than rams, the other recommends rams over apistos. I need the fish that is going to be best for this set up. Also what it the best ratio of these to keep in the community tank (I'm not too interested in breeding). One pet store said 1 male to 1 female and the other said 2 females to 1 male. I would like to put in two species if possible. Let me know what you think! I really appreciate your help! :D

Rams are famously fragile, with germans dieing if you look at them wrong, Bolivians being better. Apistos can go either way with the 70 assorted species. You have room for both-go for it.

I would go for a variety of the dwarf cichlids, Rams and apistogramas. Just get healthy stock to begin with, feed them and keep good water and they will do fine. It may be necessary to treat them for parasites but other than that, they are not really that hard to take care of once you get the hang of them. I have found that rams will accept flake food more readily than apistos, but that is just my observation. Put in some cover for them like caves.

oh, I would go for 2 or more females to 1 male. I started out with 1 and 1 ram and the male almost killed the female due to being over eager and harassing her.

I was thinking of doing 4 angels, two types of apisto (maybe cacatuoides and agassizi, but am open to suggestion), 2 schools of cories (about 5-7 per school), common or marbled hatchetfish (one group of seven), a group of 7-9 cardinal tetras, and a group of 7-9 emperor tetras or perhaps lemon tetras. I might be interested in changing out one of the groups of tetras for diamond tetras, but I have heard that they are difficult. Has anyone here worked with diamonds. That's pretty much my setup for the 90 gallon, it's going to be fairly heavily planted with rocks and bogwood. Hopefully will have lots of nice hiding places. If I there is space I might add a small pleco like a snowball pleco. How does this sound. I have a classic eheim canister filter. Any suggestions to enhance my tank. This is by far my largest fish endevor. We are planning on setting up the tank over thanksgiving and planting it and then adding fish over my winter quater break. :) That way I'll be able to keep a closer eye on the process.

Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom