Snails and Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melbel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Our entire household is getting in and offering their "suggestions" as to what to out in our 125 gal.

I've settled on an all-male Haps/Peacock tank, but apparently, the idea of stocking with fish isn't exciting (and taxing) enough because on top of that, our 8yr wants to know if he can have snails and shrimp.

I've already told him, "no", but I figured I should actually find out lest I dash his dreams forever.

And while many consider snails to be pests, I think they're pretty nifty so if they are feasible in a setup such as that which I'm creating, I wouldn't mind letting him has "his" pet too.

Thanks!

If you're asking if you can put shrimp with those feesh, then no. They'd rip them apart and eat them in 2 seconds. Snails yes.

Ok. I'm definitely getting conflicting information on the shrimp. How does 3" peacock eat a 6" shrimp?
And if the peacock would eat the shrimp, why not the snail, which would be much smaller anyway?

I've never seen a six inch shrimp at the fish store. Usually just some cherry shrimp or crystal which stay very small and are very easy prey for most fish. However if you found a larger shrimp I suppose it could be possible. I have a 2.5 inch rock shrimp ( or bamboo shrimp can't remember what it is actually called) that they might not bother at first but I'm not sure how big your fish would be fully grown. Or if they are aggressive fish or not. Also if water parameters suit both fish and shrimp but wouldn't likely work because the type of fish you want

The pH on the cichlid tank might actually be too high for the them, but I was thinking more like a Vampire shrimp (Atya Gabonensis). They're not cheap, and I'd hate to lose one due to poor stocking selection on my part, which is why I'm inquiring.

I can almost guarantee any shrimps inevitable demise in that tank. In a tank with fish as boisterous as male haps and peacocks, most any shrimp wouldnt stand a chance against them.
Now there was a store around me that had some freshwater prawn that were a few inches longer than an adult male hand, not counting their long forearms. These would likely have the best bet of surviving but even if you could find a full grown one i doubt it would make it any surmountable amount of time in there....

Any crustacean that gets 6" will likely eat the cichlids. Any larger type snails will probably persish in there too.. cichlids will knock them, they can die if they are knocked over and cannot right themselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Try Malaysian trumpet snails. I think it would be your best bet and the peacocks/haps would love the treat once in a while. My reasoning is two fold. First, they're cheap so why not try it. And second they breed like crazy and borrow so you would probably always have a couple in there that could be 'his'. I had apple snails in my cichlid tank as they grew up and they did fine for about four or five months but once the cichlids got to be about 3-4 inches they started dying. Good luck and I hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom