Snow White Cichlid Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uniquein2010

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone tell me why our 2 snow white cichlid purchased 2 months ago does not grow? They have a good appetite however they have not grown any since we purchased them. Is this normal? I have read that they can get up to six inches long. They seem to be about 1/2 inch in size. Purchased 2 yellow cichlid at the same time. They were all about the same size when we purchased them. The yellow cichlid have double in size while our 2 snow white cichlid remains the same size. Leaves me scratching my head. :confused:

Welcome to AA :)

Can you tell us a little more about your setup, water changing routine, and how much/what kind of food you feed them? My Africans didn't hardly grow at all (or at least didn't appear to) for the first 6 months I had them. I started feeding New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula about 5 months in and they took off. I've heard that it makes them grow, and for me, it either did or they hit a growth spurt about the same time.

Welcome. I saw Snow White cichlids and was expecting a bunch of fish named Happy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Grumpy, etc.

Thank you for addressing my questions. We have a sixty gallon tank. We have been feeding them beef heart, blood worms, vegetable flakes and Omega One Super Color Flakes. We feed them on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. We do a 25% water change every two weeks. If you like you may view our tanks on You Tube under uniquein2010. We sat this tank up in March. We were told by the rep at PetSmart that the beef heart would grow them fast but that has not held true for our fishes.

Ok, well let me make sure of something first. What you're referring to as the snow white cichlid, you're talking about socolofi, right? And the yellow is a yellow lab, right? If so, then dont feed them beef heart or blood worms. Mbuna need a low protein diet. Google 'malawi bloat' and you'll see what I'm talking about. Get a good rounded diet food like New Life Spectrum and I can almost bet you'll see an increase in color, health, and size in your fish. I'd also suggest that if you add anymore fish, you start upping your water changes. I have about 35 mbuna in my 150g and I do a 50% water change every week. I'd say no less than 25% each week with mbuna, but of course you may get away with every two weeks (just keep an eye on your water tests).

Im a HUGE fan of New Life Spectrum food!!! It takes the fish a little while to get used to pellets, (my store doesnt sell the flakes they have) and colors the fish have developed are INCREDIBLE!!!

Well, today I ordered the New Life Spectrum Growth 300mg....Is there a difference in the one that says growth and the ones that just says New Life Spectrum for cichlids? I also see differents forms of mg...from 150 mg and up. I guess the more mg the better it is....Am I right on this when it comes to fish food?

the mg is how much you get... they dont measure in lbs or size, its in metric weight. I've not seen the grow, but if its NLS brand, its gotta be good

Ok, well let me make sure of something first. What you're referring to as the snow white cichlid, you're talking about socolofi, right? And the yellow is a yellow lab, right? If so, then dont feed them beef heart or blood worms. Mbuna need a low protein diet. Google 'malawi bloat' and you'll see what I'm talking about. Get a good rounded diet food like New Life Spectrum and I can almost bet you'll see an increase in color, health, and size in your fish. I'd also suggest that if you add anymore fish, you start upping your water changes. I have about 35 mbuna in my 150g and I do a 50% water change every week. I'd say no less than 25% each week with mbuna, but of course you may get away with every two weeks (just keep an eye on your water tests).
Thank you for suggesting New Life Spectrum...just received my shipment. Feed it to the fishes yesteday. They went crazy for it. Digging in the gravel for it.

I hope it makes them grow like you said.

Back
Top Bottom