So many ID threads.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm seeing so many ID threads lately in this subforum. While plenty of members are more than willing to lend a hand with fish IDs, I think it's important to mention that purchasing a fish without knowing what it is, is most often a bad idea. I believe this to typically be the case for fishkeeping in general, but especially for cichlids.

I see a lot of folks that toss together a tank full of unidentified cichlids. In some instances, you might be able to get away with it for a while with juvenile fish. Everything may look like it's going just fine... until your fish hit sexual maturity, and then it isn't. Or, as is often the case, you've inadvertently chosen a fish that outgrows your tank. Perhaps your fish turn out to be incompatible due to their dietary needs. Some cichlids (such as Mbuna) need a lot more vegetable matter in their diet than others, for example. These are just a few problems that people may encounter by stocking random cichlids.

If you don't know what something is and can't get an answer from your LFS, snap a photo of the fish you like and post it for ID... BEFORE you buy it. It's better to walk away from an impulse buy so you can get more information, and go back later for the fish if it turns out to be compatible with the rest of your stock list. Don't rely on an employee for stocking information, generally. Some don't know, some just want to sell fish, some don't care. There are some awesome lfs employees, but if you're just starting out it's hard to know the difference. Caveat emptor. ;)

Last edited:
Or, since you obviously have internet ability on your phone (since most post from phone apps) , GOOGLE the fish by the name given at the LFS. Nine times out of ten, the common name given is going to show up with answers on what the aggression level, adult size, dietary needs, etc will be.

Or, since you obviously have internet ability on your phone (since most post from phone apps) , GOOGLE the fish by the name given at the LFS. Nine times out of ten, the common name given is going to show up with answers on what the aggression level, adult size, dietary needs, etc will be.

Yes, this is definitely a good suggestion if you have a name to go by. A few profiles is much better information than none. If you have doubts on compatibility based on what you read, trust your gut.

I'm seeing so many ID threads lately in this subforum. While plenty of members are more than willing to lend a hand with fish IDs, I think it's important to mention that purchasing a fish without knowing what it is, is most often a bad idea. I believe this to typically be the case for fishkeeping in general, but especially for cichlids.

I see a lot of folks that toss together a tank full of unidentified cichlids. In some instances, you might be able to get away with it for a while with juvenile fish. Everything may look like it's going just fine... until your fish hit sexual maturity, and then it isn't. Or, as is often the case, you've inadvertently chosen a fish that outgrows your tank. Perhaps your fish turn out to be incompatible due to their dietary needs. Some cichlids (such as Mbuna) need a lot more vegetable matter in their diet than others, for example. These are just a few problems that people may encounter by stocking random cichlids.

If you don't know what something is and can't get an answer from your LFS, snap a photo of the fish you like and post it for ID... BEFORE you buy it. It's better to walk away from an impulse buy so you can get more information, and go back later for the fish if it turns out to be compatible with the rest of your stock list. Don't rely on an employee for stocking information, generally. Some don't know, some just want to sell fish, some don't care. There are some awesome lfs employees, but if you're just starting out it's hard to know the difference. Caveat emptor. ;)

Totally and perfectly well put. I'm no superstar fish keeper but what I know was learned on this site! And as a novice myself still when sharing advice that goes thru deaf "ears" it's frustrating! I hate it but see why others may have jumped to other host sites. If I see another"what can I put w my Oscar and red devil in my 10 gallon" thread I may throw my phone! I know I looked up stuff before I ever joined here so I didn't look like dummy for my own comfort when I finally started to post!

But it's only temporary and a grow out tank!

I think it's worth mentioning again... research before purchase almost always yields better results in the long term. Instant gratification is fun at first, but regrettable when you find yourself in a situation with incompatible fish.

Couldn't agree more - purchasing from an "assorted cichlid" tank at an LFS is in no way, shape, or form, any indication of compatibility. It is an heart-breaking thing to have an aquarium full of very expensive cichlids only to bring home that one eye-catching fellow at the LFS and then have it mature and destroy your entire established population. Research first, purchase second is always the best way to go.

Back
Top Bottom