some advice needed - changing substrate / painting tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DE_BO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I will be removing everything in my 90 gallon fish tank, to paint it and change from gravel to sand. I will be putting all my fish into a 55g tank that is already established. it will be super crowded, but it's the only thing I can come up with. I plan to empty the tank wed night, paint early Thursday, bring it back inside on Friday and add fish after sand settles a bit. So I have a few questions.

1. should I just run my 2 canister filters in my 55g while I'm "renovating" or should I just turn them off and empty them and restart when the tank is back up. Will the bacteria hold up if dried out a bit?

2. is there any special precautions with the paint for the fish. It will be sprayed by my buddy who assures me it will be dry by the morning. Is that safe for the fish?

3. Where is a good place to buy egg crate for the rocks to sit on?

Thanks for the advice!!!

I will be removing everything in my 90 gallon fish tank, to paint it and change from gravel to sand. I will be putting all my fish into a 55g tank that is already established. it will be super crowded, but it's the only thing I can come up with. I plan to empty the tank wed night, paint early Thursday, bring it back inside on Friday and add fish after sand settles a bit. So I have a few questions.

Are you painting the inside of the tank or outside? If outside, why are you emptying the tank?

1. should I just run my 2 canister filters in my 55g while I'm "renovating" or should I just turn them off and empty them and restart when the tank is back up. Will the bacteria hold up if dried out a bit?

I wouldn't tend to think so, I'd keep them running if you can.

2. is there any special precautions with the paint for the fish. It will be sprayed by my buddy who assures me it will be dry by the morning. Is that safe for the fish?

If you're painting the outside, no issue for the fish, if you're trying to paint the inside I have no clue.

3. Where is a good place to buy egg crate for the rocks to sit on?

Thanks for the advice!!!

Home Depot sells the egg crate and light diffuser grid in the lighting section.

Back
Top Bottom