SOS in my tank :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidlover72

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my 65 gallon tank up for almost a year.. got all my cichlids pretty much as babies and they all have been doing GREAT!!! Very minimal aggression.. but now it seems someone in the tank is a BULLY! 1 of my fish got beat up pretty badly lost most of her tail :(. When I did a water change last week sadly she did not make it...
I just turned my lights on to find one of my biggest cichlid in the tank totally beat up! Most of her tail is gone and. Some of her fins on both top bottom and sides :(. Sadly I don’t have a side tank to have her recover in.. :(. Not sure what I should do! I really don’t want to lose another fish!!! Any advice? The fish also did not eat what’s so ever this PM (fish was totally fine last night but sometime during today she got beat up!)... any way to medicate her ? Should I separate her? If so how do I do so? Any advice would
Be SO appreciated !!! I really really don’t want to lose her :(

& any advice to minimize the aggression would be great

How many cichlids do you have? Are they all the same species?
I would look into removing the aggressor.

We need to know what you have in there, how many, breeds etc. I’m guessing you don’t know which is the bully..? As far as removing the beat up one, yes absolutely if you have another tank or take her to your LFS to maybe isolate her so she can heal in peace.

If you don't have anothe tank but DO have wxtra equipment you can use a *tupperware* container as a temporary holding tank

Look for the one that has whole fins and look virtually untouched. Cichlids sometimes get aggressive as they get older especially with other species of Cichlids they strive with in the wild. They are very territorial on average and this increases as they get to breeding size & age. Also if a fish is ill they will bully and perhaps kill it to keep it away from its territory. Constant observation is necessary in all cases.

If you don't have a tank

Go to the store and buy a large plastic tub that doesn't have any holes in it and use it as a tanks I you have no secondary filte you don need a filter if you get a large enough tub you could just change the water every day

Back
Top Bottom