South American 90Gal Stock List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I currently am housing my juvenile SA Cichlids in my 30 gal.
For christmas I will be recieving a 90 gal, I was just wondering, will this stocking fill the 90 gal. considering adult sizes?

Green Terror - 3.5"
Oscar - 3"
Managuense - 2"
Green Severum - 2"
Turquoise Severum - 2.5"
Pleco - 5"

I know how big these fish will eventually get, and I am aware that my 30 gal. is hardly adequate for these types of fish. I figure for 1 more month, with a 10 gal and 30 gal powerfilter, along with a UGF, that it will have to do.

Any thoughts on a 90gal stocking? Any other possible tankmates?

Even with a 90 gal you are gonna be way overstocked IMO, AND have issues with aggression.

If you want to keep fish that big i'd pick maybe 3 tops for a 90 gallon.

You're also gonna wanna drop out the jag and maybe even the GT from that list. They will likely get too aggressive for the sevs and oscar.

If I were you, I'd try the O and two sevs and maybe a smaller but robust pleco like a bristlenose.

A 90 may seem like a large tank but in reality it's not the case when it comes to larger cichlids. The footprint of those tanks is a mere 48 x 18" which isn't a lot.

Too successfully keep the fish you have listed you'd need to have something in the 150 gal and up range.

That being said. They'd be fine as juvies for awhile and if you already own the fish you might as well grow em out a bit and get more for trade in later. Just be prepared to pull some if things get out of control.

I see... Thank you for your opinions.

I was thinking of pullig the Managuense for a Nicaraguense, does anybody have any experience with these? Also, I was wondering about Firemouths, Jack Dempseys, as well as Red Terrors. Thanks!

ig you keep the managuense then you cannot have the firemouths, i saw a full grown managuense and i was blown away by the size. It could easilt swallow firemouths whole! And they are not as agressive, i would be worried that they could not hold their own in that tant.

JDs might be ok, they stay fairly small, but are mean anought to hold their own.

Dont know anything about red terrors, do you mean Red Devils?

It's funny you mention Nics. I have a 90 gal with a breeding pair of these beauties. My fave fish that I have. IMO, they are a great cichlid because they become a good size (males up around 10"), are less aggressive than many centrals, and have really understated beauty. They do take a bit to colour up though, so you might be disappointed in them depending on how mature they are.

If you're adding a Nic into the mix i'd stick with other less aggressive fish such as the sevs or firemouths might work too.

As with most of these cichlids, avoid any breeding pairs unless you want to devote your entire tank to just that pair.

If you have any specific Nic questions, fire away.

Back
Top Bottom