South american/african. Pros and cons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would like to know the pros and cons of each of these! And if their are dwarf speices of one?easy to breed ones?

There really are no pros or cons as it simply comes down to personal preference, we can't help you choose Coke or Pepsi and the same for goes for which continent to pick cichlids from.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
There really are no pros or cons as it simply comes down to personal preference, we can't help you choose Coke or Pepsi and the same for goes for which continent to pick cichlids from.

Better yet what are you interested in like personality, parameters, setup, etc.?

I have malawi mbuna and I love them but I if i had unlimited funds and space I would have a massive Jack Dempsey tank.

I have both African and SA and I must say the Africans are more rambunctious and social (fish wise) but they don't have the intelligence as many SAs it seems and definetly bond more with their owners imo

I agree that this is mostly just personal preference. There are no high-level pros/cons that should outweigh your desire to keep whichever fish group appeals to you more. Once you decide if you like NW's or African cichlids, that's when the research and the real pro/con list on stock comes into play.

I've always been 100 times more interested in new world cichlids due to their intelligence, breeding habits (newfound appreciation), and their general appearance.

Off the top of my head here are some -

Africans
Pro's - More species to choose from, generally more colourful, can be kept in tanks of 55gallon as smaller than SA's generally, breed readily and quite often

Con's - As you need to overstock you need more water changes, not as intelligent and interactive as SA's

SA's
Pro's - Very intelligent so means more interaction with owners, interesting breeding habits

Con's - Not as many species to choose from, some are highly aggressive, generally larger so need larger tanks

I have never kept Africans, maybe I will one day but love the SA Cichlids.

Off the top of my head here are some -

Africans
Pro's - More species to choose from, generally more colourful, can be kept in tanks of 55gallon as smaller than SA's generally, breed readily and quite often

Con's - As you need to overstock you need more water changes, not as intelligent and interactive as SA's

SA's
Pro's - Very intelligent so means more interaction with owners, interesting breeding habits

Con's - Not as many species to choose from, some are highly aggressive, generally larger so need larger tanks

I have never kept Africans, maybe I will one day but love the SA Cichlids.

To say Africans are more colourful is madness.Have you seen the picture of Hukits Female Festae that is colour personified.Doesnt get much better than that.

To say Africans are more colourful is madness.Have you seen the picture of Hukits Female Festae that is colour personified.Doesnt get much better than that.

It was a general statement. Africans are more colourful in the fact that if you look at all the different species they cover pretty much every colour out there.
There are some really colourful SA's granted.

Back
Top Bottom