Spawning Laetacara curviceps (Dwarf Flag Cichlids)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gheitman

Aquarium Advice Addict
My pair of Laetacara curviceps (aka Dwarf Flag Cichlids) have just started spawning. I only moved the newly purchased female into the tank from quarantine last weekend and the two of them bonded together almost immediately. They have been swimming around together ever since. I just now checked the tank while planting my new 20g and noticed that they were cleaning off a piece of slate and have now started laying eggs. I hope they are successful and that none of the other fish bother them. I'll post pictures when I can.

Oh they are great! Are they agressive? I need to figure out what is going in my 40g !

They are not aggressive in my opinion except when spawning. They tend to be very shy and stay among the plants during the daytime.

Unfortunately something that I was afraid would happen during the night did take place. When the lights came on this morning all of the eggs were gone. My Ancistrus was nearby and may be the culprit. Since I now have a confirmed breeding pair I may have to set up a new 20g tank just for them.

gheitman, do you have these in a community tank?

What could they go with?

Are they hard to find?

Sorry for all the questions!

They are in my South American community tank. You can see in my signature what other species are with them. While they all get along fine I want to set up another tank to breed the Laetacara curviceps. I will probably put some otos in with them and plant the tank heavily. My LFS doesn't have curviceps in all the time. They can go several months without having any in stock.

Back
Top Bottom