Specific name and gender for cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phillyfan33

Aquarium Advice Regular
Curious upon what the gender is what specific african cichlid (scientific name). Thanks all

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1399055474329.jpg
    1399055474329.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 186
Johonni cichlid!! I breed them, yours is a male to sex any cichlid you simply look at the anal fin if there is a dot or multiple dots that's there penis. It's a female if there's no dots.

Johonni cichlid!! I breed them, yours is a male to sex any cichlid you simply look at the anal fin if there is a dot or multiple dots that's there penis. It's a female if there's no dots.

Definitely auratus not johanni, a johanni has blue lateral barring where the auratus has black, it also has vertical barring where the auratus does not

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also looking for egg spots on the anal fin for cichlids is not a for sure way to know that it is a male. Some female cichlids can have more egg spots than a male of the same species. And the spots are not like a penis. They mimic the females eggs.

+1 on juvenile male auratus.

It a juvenile so u are correct it's a johnni there lines go horizontal please don't argue I breed these

Yes there is egg spots on females but the males usually have 3 spots and the males are more colorful

Last edited by a moderator:
@cecil2010 the egg spots is a penis proof- when's the female is holding she will see dot and be attracted to it she will bite it a sperm will shoot out to fertilize the eggs.

Mine has one dot, but you said that the males have 3... So I am getting a little confused with your explanations

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It a juvenile so u are correct it's a johnni there lines go horizontal please don't argue I breed these

Def an auratus I've kept both fish like what was said johanni are way more blue this fish is clearly black and looks like a male making his transition to male colors.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also egg spots is not a for sure way to tell gender both sexes have them best to vent to be 100. Also auratus are Dimorphic so that's an even better way to tell.

It's a jahonni did u look at the pick? Jahonnis also lose all there scales at matureing point in there lives and get dull colors. Plus Jahonnis can change how light and dark they are depending on there mood

Uh what? So you are saying because you bred a fish you are an expert?? Heck I'm hitting my lfs right now and becoming an expert in every fish I can get!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol I really don't see how you think it's a johanni. They are a blue and black fish even when colored down they don't look like the op's fish

Attachments

• 1399158151656.jpg
    1399158151656.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 1399158163431.jpg
    1399158163431.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 101
O by the way auratus can be hyper aggressive so just a heads, up good to have a few females for it to keep him busy

Back
Top Bottom