Sponge filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawnml9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all. I am reading AdKonings Lake Tang Cich book. He recommends using a sponge filter not having to be cleaned or replaced 6 mths to a year. Is he referring to a prefilter for can or air driven? Also what is a good sponge

Thank You. I have tried a few as prefilter to my canisters was bad idea. How often are you having to clean or replace sponge

I take it out and squeeze/rinse it out about once a month in conditioned water or clean tank water.

Wonder what sponge he is referring to that lasts a year

i use the hydro sponges in my tanks and love them. 1 small CYCLED hydro sponge was enough filtration to hold a 20 gallon tank at 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate. I had about 20 fry / juvies in the tank. These things hold alot of beneficial bacteria. I just purchased 5 more and I will use them in all of my tanks.

Maybe he means the hydro sponge will last a year before it starts falling apart. I highly doubt he meant u don't have to clean them. They get gunked up fairly quick

You are probably right. I just ordered pro v and cobalt power head

How big is your tank? BTW I use the Filter Max II connected to the powerhead to create flow along the bottom of the tank to keep it clean. Check out all the fittings in the pre-filter section. You can securely put the the powerhead on with these fittings and there are adapters and right angles, etc.

ur gonna love them. So much easier to clean than HOB filters, and if u ever want to start a new tank or fry tank, just squeeze the sponge filter in the new tank water and place it in the tank. you are instantly cycled

You can put a clean sponge filter from a cycled tank into a new tank and yeah you are pretty much cycled. The BB lives in the pores of the sponge not in the water column. Don't squeeze the gunk into a new tank. Your fish will create the ammonia needed to feed the Beneficial Bacteria.

i disagree with rotor, squeeze the sponge into the water. beneficial bacteria lives on all surfaces in the tank, not just inside the filter. Squeezing it out helps spread the BB onto the substrate, decor etc.. and yes the fishes ammonia is what feeds the BB

these are perfect for breeder tanks, the fry will eat the trapped food off of the filter

How big is your tank? BTW I use the Filter Max II connected to the powerhead to create flow along the bottom of the tank to keep it clean. Check out all the fittings in the pre-filter section. You can securely put the the powerhead on with these fittings and there are adapters and right angles, etc.

Sorry missed this one. 90 gal with Ehiem pro 3e

i disagree with rotor, squeeze the sponge into the water. beneficial bacteria lives on all surfaces in the tank, not just inside the filter. Squeezing it out helps spread the BB onto the substrate, decor etc.. and yes the fishes ammonia is what feeds the BB

these are perfect for breeder tanks, the fry will eat the trapped food off of the filter

Almost bought a foam filter. Went cheap with classic plastic POS for fry tank

the plastic ones that you put your own media in? those are fine for fry tanks. All the local fish stores use them or sponges

Yea one of those. Before the Hurricane I had hundreds of Brichardis and a few Marlieri lost everything

ahh that sucks..I got hit hard here with the hurricane also, but I had a generator to run my filters and heaters

Ok been using sponge a few days with power head. The power head is collapsing the sponge. You using Ph or air?

I am using a powerhead. Which filter did you get? Does it have the 2 piece grey plastic cage that slips into the sponge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnml9

Back
Top Bottom