Starting a 180 gallon in Thailand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YouTube has your solution for a sump with no drilling. And I'm sure your to corner filters will work fine. Can you get ahold of sponge filters? IMO they are amazing when powered by a powerhead.

For a sump without drilling you need an hob overflow I believe

Yeah looking at the PVC pipe design. I think i could run the L/Hr I need with one made from 1.5 inch PVC.

The more I think about it the more I am into the idea of building a sump of some kind.

I did stop in at the big fish store today and they said I can special order a tank pre drilled from the factory. It will cost me about an extra 30-40 bucks for the drilling on top of the price of a new tank as opposed to a used one. Still hoping to get a used tank, maybe I'll get lucky and find one drilled.

YouTube has your solution for a sump with no drilling. And I'm sure your to corner filters will work fine. Can you get ahold of sponge filters? IMO they are amazing when powered by a powerhead.

Sponge filters are totally common here, the standard thing for little tanks, I had a little 30 gallon running with 2 of them for almost a year. They work pretty good but they are ugly and hard to hide. I really want to have to look hard to see any equipment in this tank.

Ok going back for a second to my crazy fluidized sand bed idea. Necessary or not, do you think it would work to build one in a corner box like that? If I wanted to try one, would I be better off building a separate unit from PVC and maybe hang it off the back?

The tank is going to be oriented in an unusual way in my apartment, with the short end up against the wall and sticking out to sort of use it as a room divider. The plan is to have an industrial sort of shelf unit behind the tank, so I could put a homebuilt unit there and it would be easy to access.

That actually brings me to my latest crazy idea. I know most people put a sump below the tank, but has anyone put one on a shelf behind and level with the tank? This would allow for siphon flow in and out with no worries about a runaway siphon. If the power failed, all the water flow would stop when everything got level.

The tube inside a tube overflow intakes this guy did are pretty nice actually. Much cleaner looking than the other type.

Uruajoey. If you search his name it will give you a bunch of DIY projects on YouTube. Also sponge filters aren't only for small tanks. And personally I think they Are rather easy to hide. I just put a big sword in front of mine. You could just set it behind some rocks. Also there extremely easy to clean. I just syphon mine off and then push my hose into the sponge a little when I want some deep cleaning.

How's the project coming along over there?

I came across this pic today. Is it on your todo list?

Attachments

• image-3145916444.jpg
    image-3145916444.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 67
Those pools are really nice, been once a while ago.

Went to another thread to cover what really happened. Still cleaning out the tank I did get.

Back
Top Bottom