starting a 55 gallon cichlid tank...need parts advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StngStr

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I got a 55 gallon tank used locally from ebay for $66. It's 48 inches long by 12 inches deep and i'm not sure of the height. Is this considered a regular 55? 55 long? 55 tall?

Anyway...I'm going to put together a mawali (sp?) cichlid tank with pool filter sand bottom (haven't decided on light or dark), lots of rocks/caves, maybe 1 or 2 pieces of driftwood, and some fake plants.

My questions are these:

1. How many cichlids should I put in there? I'll be going with only the lesser aggressive (i know...they are all pretty aggressive compared to other tropicals) species.

2. I'd also like to put some "clean up" type crew in there. I have a 2 inch common pleco in my 10 gallon that I'll move over there to clean the glass/plants, but what about something to clean up the sand?

3. What do I need to know when shopping for pool filter sand?
3a. What's a good price?
3b. Is darker or lighter better?
3c. How deep should it be?
3d. What's the best/easiest way to clean it?

4. Which brand/model heater and how many watts should I use for this 55 gallon (HOB filter, so i don't think an in-line will work)?

5. Which is the best HOB filter? I like the idea of the Bio-Wheel, so is the Emperor 400 or the new Penquin 350B filter better?

6. Any recommendations for a digital thermometer?

7. Best place (online or local to central florida) to find/buy driftwood?

8. Same as #7 but for rocks (what type of rock is best?)?

9. Where online is the cheapest place to buy Bio-Spira? I'd like to give this a try vs waiting around for the normal cycle.

10. The tank I got comes with a glass top, but no lights. Any recommendation for lighting? There won't be any live plants in the tank. Would a regular 48 inch 2 tube florecent light work fine?

Did I miss anything?

The tank dimensions are that of a regular 55 gal.

The number of fish depends on what you choose and how dedicated you are to tank maintenance. Africans are messy fish and require extra filtration ontop of regular weekly water changes. If you stay with relatively small peaceful Mbuna such as the labs and Acei's, you could have maybe 10 - 15. But the more aggressive species require more space. I wouldn't mix hap and mbuna's at this point until you get a feel for Africans and their nature.

The pleco should be sufficient. Cories are not a good choice for an African tank.

I bought a 50 lb bag of pfs for $6, but it ranges anywhere between $5 and $10 for a 50 lb bag. The color and depth is totally dependent on your taste. I like about 3 to 4 inches because it is easier to aquascape. But then you'll need to stir it during water changes (not a big deal). To clean: Fill a 5 gal bucket half full of sand. Put a garden hose in the bucket and fill. Let the water overflow out of the bucket. Swish the sand around with the hose until the water overlfowing comes out clear. Then just pour out the water and put the sand in the tank. To gravel vac, swish the syphon above the sand. It will kick up the debris so you can suck it out.

Aim for 5 watts per gal on a heater. For a 55 gal heater I would use a 250 or 300 Watt.

For filters, I prefer Canisters, especially for an African tank. But I have heard rave reviews on Aquaclears.

For a digital thermometer, I prefer the Coralife Battery Operated Digital Thermometer.

Can't help with the driftwood or rocks, I purchase all of those at the lfs.

A standard 48 inch strip is fine. I would use the double tube so you have more flexibility with which bulbs to use. That way you can use Actinics and 50/50's and play with the bulb coloration.

If the tank is 48 inches wide, do I need a 48 inch strip light? The double tube 48 inch at bigalsonline.com is $82! Expensive! Do i really need it that long? Anywhere cheaper?

If you find the strip anywhere cheaper, call Big Al's when placing the order and they will price match minus an additional 5%. You could use two 24 inch strips. Or if you wanted, you could just use a shorter strip, not as attractive IMO.

Back
Top Bottom