Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Starting a juvenile cichlid community, all help/input welcomed!

Hello everyone! I recently came into a 55 gal full set up from a friend who had had enough! Haha Iíve had smaller 29 gal cichlid communities in the past, as well as a 55 gal setup with 2 dempseyís that were about the size of a half dollar when I got them and were about 8-10Ē when I inevitably gave them away. (Moves to college)

Iím going to set up a cichlid community, starting as juvies, and would love some input! I plan on putting a few, what will eventually be larger and separated down the road) cichlids in the tank, and just want to know if anyone has experience or advice in terms of tank mates.

Hereís what Iím thinking:

1-2 Maulana peacocks
1 albino rainbow/red tail shark
3-4 electric yellows
1 python island super red
1 pleco

Again, keep in mind Iím planning on starting them as juvies, in hopes of preventing any big time aggression or territory issues. I also plan to have several flower pot ďcavesĒ and plants amongst my sandy substrate.. I know the sharks tend to thrive in a slightly lower ph (6.5-7.5) whereas the rest of the gang is closer to the 7.2-8.2, and I know haps can get large as well as the peacocks but I do have plans to seperate them once theyíre mature and make them theyíre own focal points...

Just kind of spitballing here. Any and all HELPFUL advice is welcomed and appreciated!! Thanks to all!

Old 02-26-2020, 08:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I found that they don’t reallt prefer the flower pots and most of mine tend to hang out near the caves built of slate as it imitates there natural habitat just my opinion

Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

As far as tank mates. I had my cichlid tank over stocked with about 12-15 tiger barbs. They stay in schools so I never had any issues. Include lot of plants as well to create natural dividers.

Weekly aquatic videos on my channel.
NicosAquatics is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cichlid, community, ich, star, start, starting, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com