Starting a Ram Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd say a 3-4 month old tank is fine for rams. Find out where your lfs gets them from. Transshipped ones do extremely poorly as they are all roided up and die pretty quickly. Tank bred ones are much hardier.

Is 4 weeks buffering time OK?

That depends on how stable your water parameters are after 4 weeks. More experienced keepers are likely to have more stable water parameters, as they are not as likely to do things like overfeed the tank. Less experience typically means more changes in parameters.

I haven't had any problems keeping rams, in my experience they are pretty easy to care for, aside from jumping out of the tank once in a while. Thinking of adding an electric blue ram as well. Or some dwarf cichlids. Rams are fun. Good personalities, good coloring.
I also set up the GloFish blue LED light from Tetra on the tank, even though it's designed to bring out the glow in the GloFish, it makes the blue spots all over the Rams POP
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396449031.113908.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396449052.479545.jpg

I should add, I care for my tank like clock work. Very regimented, and precise. You have to keep things stable for any fish, some are heartier than others, but that can vary in individuals as well. Even after two years I still check my levels every two/three to every other day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I would wait at least 2 monts, just to be sure
Also, don't do the fish in cycle with them
The rams are more sensitive to nitrites more than anything

Should be ok, gouramis can be aggressive though, I'd just keep an eye on it. German Rams do ok in community tanks. That's what mine are in, I don't have gouramis, I have tetras, and small rainbows.

Should be ok, gouramis can be aggressive though, I'd just keep an eye on it. German Rams do ok in community tanks. That's what mine are in, I don't have gouramis, I have tetras, and small rainbows.

I'm planning on putting mine with some cories, would they get along? I'd have 8 rummy's as well as target fish...

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

I don't have much experience with Cory's, but I imagine it would be fine since they habit different parts of the tank. I have never had rummy nose tetras either, but from what I understand about them it should be fine.

They are fine with cory's just stay away from anything thats fast moving or aggressive as rams are shy fish

My local store just got in German Blue Rams. I have been wanting this fish! But, I'm not sure if my tank will work for them. Questions:

1. I know they need an established tank - is 4 months long enough?
2. I have read they need a PH up to 7. Mine is 7.8......problem? The guy at my LFS says his tank is about that and his rams are fine?
3. I've read you need peat. Is that essential? Or just suggested? I don't have peat.
4. KH is high - around 250-300. Problem?
5. Also does my tank have enough plants for them to feel secure? (I will buy some caves)

Thanks for your advice......

My local store just got in German Blue Rams. I have been wanting this fish! But, I'm not sure if my tank will work for them. Questions:

1. I know they need an established tank - is 4 months long enough?
2. I have read they need a PH up to 7. Mine is 7.8......problem? The guy at my LFS says his tank is about that and his rams are fine?
3. I've read you need peat. Is that essential? Or just suggested? I don't have peat.
4. KH is high - around 250-300. Problem?
5. Also does my tank have enough plants for them to feel secure? (I will buy some caves)

Thanks for your advice......

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403724990.536833.jpg

Here's the tank. Worried its not heavily planted enough.

2 months later my GBR are doing fine! 1 spawn so far! :D I bought from YUNITE, look him up on eBay or google...

Thanks. They have them at my LFS so I'll probably try theirs just to make it easier but if they're not good I will try this site. Thanks!

Your lfs will probably have a substandard strain that will die a few months after you get them, you'd really be best to order fro m yunite

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your lfs will probably have a substandard strain that will die a few months after you get them, you'd really be best to order fro m yunite

This happened to me. I got a Ram from petsmart. 2 months later he was belly up dead for NO apparent reason at all.

Picked up 2 at a specialty fish store. Thriving extremely well. Clair and Francis. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Awesome - am reading the Yunite website and now understand what you're saying.......and best of all they are in Escondido which is only a few miles away from me!!!! Thanks!

Awesome - am reading the Yunite website and now understand what you're saying.......and best of all they are in Escondido which is only a few miles away from me!!!! Thanks!

That's surely a sign from above you need those rams haha, I'm jealous, the shipping was a killer so I went with some wild caught blue rams instead..

That's surely a sign from above you need those rams haha, I'm jealous, the shipping was a killer so I went with some wild caught blue rams instead..

Yes!! I agree. I am excited!! Got to get some caves first though......

Also, I have 2 dwarf gouramis (male) which can be a bit on the territorial side. Do you think they will be ok with GBRs?

Back
Top Bottom