Starting a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmon777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am starting chchlid tank and was wondering if any one knew of site or where i could compare the compatibility of the different ones? as well as some pictures the lfs has lots of different kinds and given the tank is a little small (40g) i want to make sure i dont get one 2 big or agressive.

Well if you google pics of the cichlids and find out the names, enter them into the site to see if they are compatible. Then you can google the fish you choose and see what care they need.

Well if you google pics of the cichlids and find out the names, enter them into the site to see if they are compatible. Then you can google the fish you choose and see what care they need.

i thought about this a while back but thats a lot of research.lol ( was looking for a short cut) started to compose a table of the different ones that would work size wise also i dont know about mixing carnivores and omnivores ect. kind of would like a blood parrots and 4 angle fish. but some other ones are really cool and i kind of feel bad for blood parrots now that i have researched them a bit.

LOL okay. Well someone should be able to help you soon. Not many people on right now.
I just looked up to see if angelfish and blood parrots would be compatible, and it said they would be. I dunno.
Good luck!

I just read up on the blood parrot too, and I also feel sorry for them! WOW! I had no idea people did that to fish! Sad....

I just read up on the blood parrot too, and I also feel sorry for them! WOW! I had no idea people did that to fish! Sad....
i know right i read about dying not to long ago and that way messed up. i also read about people crossing mollies and guppy's and how that made all kinds of deformities. i had no idea this fish was deformed until i researched a little more so i dont what we going to get we still a week or 2 make up my minds.

Sounds good! I was just on liveaquaria.com and they have some info on fish and pictures. Made me fall in love with the Endler's livebearer!

i was thinking of mixing electric blue and yellows and Zebras after visiting that site.but still not sure

the important thing to consider is water conditions and dietary needs... if you go with africans, stick with fish from the same lake... if you go with mbuna, dont mix in fish that require alot of protein in their diet as the mbuna will get bloat... the main thing with south/central american cichlids is aggression... there are so many different types, its really going to be a matter of you picking out a few, then finding compatable tankmates for them... just dont try to mix south/central americans with africans, that will cause problems down the road

Back
Top Bottom