Stock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viccy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Please forgive my ignorance . The only cichlids I have ever had before were Red Devils , butter coffee and oscars so with everyone help I have decided to set my 90g up for Mbuna , so the question . Can I mix pseudotropheus with labidochomus , well can you mix all different Mbuna or do you need to stay within one family's like lab's or what ever ?

Not too familiar with which pairings go together but I know some are mainly herbivores and others carnivores.

Also making sure your groups are large enough to spread aggression.

When setting up a mbuna tank the species selection is almost limitless in choices. Start with 3 fish from different genus to reduce the chances of aggression and hybridization between species. Your final stocking number should be around 15-20 fish after the proper male to female ratio of 1m/4f is followed. Start by purchasing more juvies since sexing young fish is difficult and rehome fish as needed when the extra males are identified or a hyper aggressive fish is wreaking havoc. Stay away from similar colored fish when choosing like blue barred which will quickly introduce you to how aggressive these fish can be. One of my favorite combinations is blue and yellow such as Pseudotropheus demasoni and Labidochromis caeruleus or a Pseudotropheus saulosi species tank as that gets that classic blue and yellow look.

I think Hukit summed it up very well, but just a thought, you might consider adding some fish like Red Fin Borleyi and Yellow Tail Acei. Unlike the majority of Mbuna, which hang in and around the hardscape, those fish usually swim above the reef, and occasionally school. Keep updating.

Back
Top Bottom