Stocking 75g american cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmize89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone so I'm at a bit of a crossroad here as what to add to my 75g american cichlid tank. Note: this is somewhat a grow out tank and I do plan on upgrading to a 125g-180g when the time comes. So as it stand I have 1 red severum 3.5", I read head tapajos 3", 2 electric blue acara 2.5" & 3", 1 synodontis multipunctatus 4", and 1 butterfly pleco. So I'm wanting to add some more fish any ideas? I would like to stay with some south american cichlids however I am open to ideas. I'm open to free swimming and bottom dwellers if they will be compatible. So please any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your time.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1431831430160.jpg
    1431831430160.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 110
Add more red head tapajo. They really should be in groups of 5-7 minimum due to highly social behavior as youngsters

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think 5 might be a bit much, maybe 2 more....I don't want to overstock even tho this is a grow out tank

Add more red head tapajo. They really should be in groups of 5-7 minimum due to highly social behavior as youngsters

I would re home the electric blue acara , synodontis multipunctatus, and butterfly pleco. Then as Kyle said add 4 or 5 more Tapajos.

By butterfly pleco, is it a L052 or is it a hillstream loach? I've heard both referred to as butterfly plecos.

I agree with Freak and Mike though, the Geo's need to be upped. They will form an obvious hierarchy. They're too much of a chill fish to really be with any of the new world heavy hitters. Even if you got rid of everything except the Tapajos, it would still be a very pleasing tank to look at, they're beautiful fish. By having a shoal of these, getting rid of any bottom feeders would be cool as Geos are earth eaters and will sift through the substrate a lot of the time.

It's not that I don't want to take any advice, it's just that I don't want to over crowd the tank. However if you think they will be fine then I will up the red head tapajos to 5. Also I can't re home any of my fish unless I pay my LFS lol so re homing can't happen right now

And yes the pleco Is an L052 not a hillstream loach/reticulated loach

My advice to you is to go get the upgrade. Add 4 more red heads, add another Severum. Throw in a school of dithers

That sounds good, that's another thing I was trying to figure out was dithers, how about congo tetra? Or any other suggestions?

Any tetras with a boarder bodies will be fine. Tetras normally stay at the upper part of the tank while the geos at the bottom. I have 20 lemon tetra with my geos in a 90g tank and they don't really mind each other. Geo might however take on slimmer tetras like neon at night though.

Back
Top Bottom