Stocking a 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the barb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I've never had a cichlid before, and I have a 55 gallon tank, I would like any suggestions about food or anything. Thanks in advance :)

Ok what type of cichlids do you want New world or Africans haha. Also you know all about tank cycling correct?

But I would personally go New Worlds. Research these fish all of them will do fine in a 55 gallon. Look into Green Terror, Blue Acara, Jack Dempsey, Firemouth, Convict Cichlid, as far as tankmates go for them you could have maybe giant danios, picture catfish or Raphael catfish.

Food- Look into feeding either omega one Cichlid pellets or NLS Cichlid pellets. Make sure if you go new world the food has at least 35% crude protein in it. I would feed that 5 days a week then feed them frozen brine shrimp or blood worms 1 day then have a day off of feeding.

Thank you, I don't know about cycling can you explain that to me

Ok a fish less cycle will take you a while. Make sure before starting you buy a test kit. i reccomend the API liquid test kit. What you have to do is set up your whole tank and get your filters running let it run for a couple hours. Buy pure ammonia and put in like 2 teaspoons then test your water if its at 3ppm ammonia on the test you are fine. Everyday add more ammonia until you get nitrites. Then start adding only 2 ppm ammonia. After another week nitrates should appear. You will know its cycled when you dose 2ppm ammonia and by the next day there is only nitrates no ammonia or no nitrites. The whole process takes about 3-4 weeks. If that didn't make sense just google fish less cycle.

Cycling is to build the good bacteria that will complete the nitrogen cycle (Ammonia to nitrite to nitrate). This is what takes care of you waste from your fishes poop and food. You will need a good aquarium test kit (not strips) and does take a bit. You should cycle before putting fish in the tank it's more safe for the fish and easier on yourself. There is a lot of info and different ways to complete this task when you google it just pick the way that you see fit.

No problem just cycle it before adding any fish haha but keep looking around take a look at some of those fish I mentioned:)!

Back
Top Bottom