stocking a 75g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-man02

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello so i have a 75g tank that i recently started and lost to ick. im working on a new stocking list. here are the for the ones i have decided on.
-a pair of salvinis
-a brittle nose plec
-a school of tiger barbs(6-10)
I would like to add some more cichlids. i have also had my eye on a dinosaur bichir. so let me know what you think!!!

-thanks

Bichir is an excellent choice. My guy is quite active in a 75 gallon and is fun to watch when i feed him. If it were my tank though i would do an oscar, a salvini and a bichir. But its ur tank :)

oscars require a 75 on there own i have been told... I am more than happy to drop the school for more cichlids other than salvini.

Idk how true that whole oscar 75 gallon on their own is. Im gonna get attacked by saying this. As long as u have good filtration that should be fine. I have an oscar with a bichir, 2 pikes that will get 4 to 6 inches a striped rapheal catfish and a hi fin pleco. Waters clear and everyones healthy.

how much filtration are we talking about?? would a jack Dempsey work in this situation instead of an oscar??

The Oscar to a 75, is more so meant as that's the size of the tank at minimum they need. A school of barbs or a bichir is not something that isn't possible, or both!

It's just another "large" fish or cichlid is not really recommended. Ie- pleco, JD,GT even male salvini can reach 10".

Two things I can promise ya, large weekly WC's will have to be the norm.

And adding another large SA/CA cichlids will result in aggression. Specially the more aggressive species.

Any ways just my 2c good luck with the tank. Post pics when ya get it set up again.

T-man02 said:
how much filtration are we talking about?? would a jack Dempsey work in this situation instead of an oscar??

I believe you'd be able to do a pair of jacks in a 75. I have one n hes beautiful. When i go home ill get a pic for ya. But i think an oscar would be to much

ok so here is what im thinking....
-pair of salvinis
-14 tiger barbs
-one dinosaur bichir
- one brittlenos plec
- school of corys(maybe)
-20+ ghost shrimp (cleaning/ food)

Don't put the ghost shrimp in the same tank. Your fish will become spoiled. Use a separate tank for ghost shrimp.

ok so now im thinking the same list except for one or two clown loaches instead of the corys, 10 tiger barbs and id like to add one more type of cichlid with the room i believe i made by cutting down the number of fish so bring on the suggestions with this current list. and im taking the shrimp out

they look pretty cool do you know how they will hold up against salvinis.

they look pretty cool do you know how they will hold up against salvinis.

Not well, If I made a list of the top 10 most aggressive new worlds cichlasoma salvini would be on it. My salvinis have destroyed larger hyper-aggressive male festae. If your really looking for a community setting in a 75g take out the sals or at least use a solitary female and build around her.

If your looking for a community type of tank then I'd start with Cryptoheros or Amatitlania as your base cichlids then build from there. I've got neary every species of crypts from panamensis, nanoleteus, sajica, cutteri, honduran sp, septemfasciatus, and myrnae( still looking for spilurus).They are great centrals since they get all the color and attitude without the size and serial killer behavior of their larger cohorts.

Last edited:
Not well, If I made a list of the top 10 most aggressive new worlds cichlasoma salvini would be on it. My salvinis have destroyed larger hyper-aggressive male festae. If your really looking for a community setting in a 75g take out the sals or at least use a solitary female and build around her.

If your looking for a communit type of tank then I'd start with Cryptoheros or Amatitlania as your base cichlids then build from there. I've got neary every species of crypts from panamensis, nanoleteus, sajica, cutteri, honduran sp, septemfasciatus, and myrnae. They are great centrals since they get all the color and attitude without the size and serial killer behavior of their larger cohorts.

I'm not looking for a community type of tank necessarily i just want more size than i do quantity I am into the kinda fish that have some temper issues but as you said I dont want "serial killer behavior". and the sals coloration as adults are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Then I'd stick with your original plan, a pair of salvinis, a large school of tetras, and bristlenose plec amd call it stocked. You'd be amazed on how a 9" male salvini and his mate fill up a 75g.

No pleco, get the bichir! Way cooler fish!

The misconception of "needing" a cleaning crew gets on my nerves. Specially with SA/CA. They dig sooooooo much all day every day. That regardless you HAVE to vac. The gravel/sand every time you WC anyways because all the poop and waste gets mixed up in it anyways.

T-man02 said:
I'm not looking for a community type of tank necessarily i just want more size than i do quantity I am into the kinda fish that have some temper issues but as you said I dont want "serial killer behavior". and the sals coloration as adults are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

I say African mbuna. Sounds like what your looking for.

No pleco, get the bichir! Way cooler fish!

The misconception of "needing" a cleaning crew gets on my nerves. Specially with SA/CA. They dig sooooooo much all day every day. That regardless you HAVE to vac. The gravel/sand every time you WC anyways because all the poop and waste gets mixed up in it anyways.

I think that i might make the school smaller and add the bichir.

Back
Top Bottom