Stocking a monster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scalesojustice

Aquarium Advice Activist
i'm just fishing for opinions as to my stocking plan for my 38 gal. i plan on two blood parrots and a peacock eel.

now, i'm not looking for ethical opinions about blood parrots, i know all about the controversy, but i love those little mutants. but i'm not sure how much waste they produce, how they might do with the peacock eel, etc. i'll be buying them as juvies.

i'm also contemplating adding a juvie convict a couple months down the line, but i worry about agression issues and i think that might be pushing my stocking limit.

Thanks!

Do you already have the tank? I was just wondering because I recently upgraded my BP tank from a 30 long to a 45 and they really like the extra height. If you have to stick with a 3 foot tank like I did, it's something to consider. If you already have the tank, that's cool too. BPs don't grow that fast IME. Your stock plan sounds very similar to my 45. I keep 2 big BPs, a female convict, a rainbow shark, and 3 yo yo loaches. It's a really interesting tank, and very active. The BPs produce a lot of waste and are messy eaters. I use an Emperor 400 and it does a good job. Go for the 400, or an Aquaclear 500, or a canister IMO. My convict was added when the BPs were already large. I think this is important for keeping aggression down- cons have a big attitude and you don't want one that is larger than your BPs. I don't know enough about the eel to offer any advice there, but don't they grow pretty large? I'm not sure if you should keep one in a 3 foot tank, but I'm sure someone else can offer you better advice about that.

Buy BPs that are small and gray. This way you will know that they have not been dyed. Plus, it's cool to watch them change color. I think you will like keeping them. Mine have a ton of personality- they follow my finger around the tank and will even eat out of my hand. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom