Stocking africans with...what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

physicsdude

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi-
What kind of fish can be stscoked with malawi africans? At the moment I got 1 red zebra, 1 demasoni, 1 purple acei, and 1 kenyii or peacock (not sure on this one- bought cause he was 2.99 in misc. africans tank). Anyway, what other critters could be kept in there? I saw some catfish in there, but not too much else. PH is 7.6- no bufferring.

please state the size of the tank.
the demasoni will probably destroy the rest of your stock
not necessarily. demasonis are notorious for conspecific aggression. it might have tiffs with the kenyi (in case it is one) but the kenyi is sufficiently equipped to handle the dem.

i will echo the "what size tank" :D

that said... for the most part other malawi cichlids

other then that... everything else is hit and miss IMO

perhaps a pleco

i have had good luck with keeping a Synodontis eupterus with my malawi (see my info for species i keep)

my LFS tried to tell me Tiger Barbs make good dither fish for africans :? but i did not try it.

I have 12 Saulosi and 8 Cyprichomis in a 90 gal and have had no problems. I was also told it's possible as long as they don't have the same territory requirements

You could go with some synodontis. There's a few from the rift lakes, inc. multipunctatus and petricola. I'd go with a trio of multipunctatus if your tank is big enough to accommodate them, purely because they're larger so I guess better suited to the 'bigger personalities' in your tank than the petricola would be.

Most of the fish you already have will outgrow a 30g tank. I'd just get a few Syno petricolas, as they only get about 4 inches or so. Make sure you get 3-4 because they like groups.

You should look into upgrading in the future as you have some Malawians that not only get around 6 inches, but are pretty aggressive as well.

physicsdude said:
thats neat. what about a pictus cat or maybe a pleco? i think the plecos tough armor would help him survive.
i have heard of success with plecos, but with cichlids NOTHING is guaranteed.

Of the fish you have, the only mbuna species you can keep in tha tank that saize is the Demasoni. You can do a species tank with 10-12 fish, but MAKE SURE you have at least 10 fish. If you don't keep them in substantial numbers, you will most likely end up with only one dominant male surviving.

Back
Top Bottom