Stocking american cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samdaman

Aquarium Advice Regular
IM setting up a 800l American cichlids tank in the local medical center I want to put in one of each
Tiger oscar
Convict
Black belt
One super green Texas
Jaguar
Jack dempsey
Green terror
It's mid cycle and I was wound wring if I would be overstocked I'm planning on having rocks driftwood and plants to make hiding spots.

IM setting up a 800l American cichlids tank in the local medical center I want to put in one of each
Tiger oscar
Convict
Black belt
One super green Texas
Jaguar
Jack dempsey
Green terror
It's mid cycle and I was wound wring if I would be overstocked I'm planning on having rocks driftwood and plants to make hiding spots.

I'd maybe leave the convict out.

You know, if you want a large cichlid-only tank, I honestly think Malawi cichlids offer more in terms of compatibility (I can throw together a list for you and guarantee they won't shred eachother) attractiveness, ease of care, etc.

You sure you don't want a Mbuna tank? Or Haps and peacocks?

Thanks but I've ordered Americans
But are these compatible species

I wouldn't put the convict he will end up dinner to a larger fish

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You're gonna be playing with fire IMO, jaguar get large and are extremely aggressive. Oscars gets large and are territorial. GT and JD are large and territorial, as well as black belt. I'd for sure take out the jag.

So loose the jag and it will be full of cavernous rocks and driftwood to make territories in.

That like 200 gallons right? I think honestly thy you'd be ok with that stock but no convict.

I agree with mistersprinkles. Even though a tank with all those fish would be sweet, and I'm a South American/ new world cichlid guy. But it could end up with a bunch of fighting and some dead fish. With it being in a public place it might make you look bad. With Africans you could have a colorful, active setup with no worry of 1 fish destroying all the others. But if that's not an options that I would go with 2 oscars, and 2 jacks. Or even a bunch of angels.

I agree with mistersprinkles. Even though a tank with all those fish would be sweet, and I'm a South American/ new world cichlid guy. But it could end up with a bunch of fighting and some dead fish. With it being in a public place it might make you look bad. With Africans you could have a colorful, active setup with no worry of 1 fish destroying all the others. But if that's not an options that I would go with 2 oscars, and 2 jacks. Or even a bunch of angels.

Very sensible advise.

It has now been stocked and there has been limited fighting I didn't end up doing the jag but favoured another tiger oscar.

It has now been stocked and there has been limited fighting I didn't end up doing the jag but favoured another tiger oscar.

The fighting won't start until the fish grow a bit. It may even be fine until they mature in a year or so , or they might be fine for years then the kill switch turns on. You never know with cichlids. Just keep an eye on them and have a plan if you need to move one or some out in a hurry.

Oscars make good cichlid biotope community fish if you have the room for a pair and the patience and tenacity to clean an overstocked oversized cichlid tank daily. I have a 150g oscar feature

Oscars are giant :) my Gino is obviously king of the tank

Attachments

• image-91689465.jpg
    image-91689465.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom