Stocking ideas 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erickC.

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im getting a new 55 gal tomorrow. Will start cycling it next week. This gives me some time to think about what I want to put in it. I have a 55 now with Africans in it. Im looking for something different now. Something that is not so common. I don't care if its a hundreds little somethings or one big something. I am looking for something that would be around the price of 12 cichlids. Lets call it 140. Any ideas? I'd like to start researching the fish now so I can be ready when my tank is done.

Oscars are common but still pretty cool. I i have heard you could get about 4 discus for a tank that size and thise are a bit more exotic.

Peacocks are awesome....Someone else will have to chime in on thoes tho. I dont have any yet. I really want a 125 with peacocks. In my opinion some of the most beautiful fish that are kept in freshwater. They get quite pricy though. Low aggression for the most part. They handle plants better so i read.

I was thinking about Oscars I read on another post that in a 55 its about one limit if I could get 2 at least I would be into getting Oscars

A 55G is big enough for only one oscar with proper filtration and water change schedules. And even then it might not be a good home, a 75G has a bigger width so the oscar feels more comfortable turning when it is full-grown at a foot long IMO.

A pair of oscars should have at least a 110+ Gallon Tank.

There's always the super personable Jack Dempseys. One would be very comfortable in a 55. A pair of angels in a heavily planted tank would look cool as well.

OOOOOhhhhh peacocks. That one is getting serious consideration. Are there any catfish or sharks worth getting

A 55G is big enough for only one oscar with proper filtration and water change schedules. And even then it might not be a good home, a 75G has a bigger width so the oscar feels more comfortable turning when it is full-grown at a foot long IMO.

A pair of oscars should have at least a 110+ Gallon Tank.

There's always the super personable Jack Dempseys. One would be very comfortable in a 55. A pair of angels in a heavily planted tank would look cool as well.

Thats what I thought about when it came to the Oscar. Right now its down to JDs and Peacocks

There are some cool Pleco u can get that stay small, I saw one today at my Lfs that was called a mustard seed spotted Pleco.

Back
Top Bottom